Manager, Human Resources
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-06
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Manager, Human Resources manages HR support staff and acts in an advisory capacity, serving as a consultant to various client groups. This role manages human resources policies and procedures related to employee relations, compensation and benefits program administration, performance management and other special projects. This job works closely with both managers and employees to establish, maintain, and improve effective work relationships, build morale, attract, develop and retain talent, in order to support the University of Miami’s mission.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Manages Human Resources support staff in order to ensure timely delivery of HR services.
2. Counsels and advises employees and managers on internal employee relations practices, procedures and overall organizational policies.
3. Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale and increase productivity and retention. Initiates, develops and executes Work Environment Assessments, in order to determine areas for improvement.
4. Conducts, manages and resolves complex employee relations issues, to include thorough and objective investigations, and a comprehensive review of evidence/documentation. Summarizes investigation findings and recommendations.
5. Conducts routine meetings with respective business units, to include the general employee population, in order to assist clients in meeting/exceeding their strategic objectives. Recommends new approaches to affect continuous improvement.
6. Ensures all requested personnel actions are compliant University policy and procedures, as well as adhere to established employment laws and guidelines. Provides the appropriate guidance to leadership staff.
7. Assisting with departmental restructuring, succession planning, job description development and revisions, as well as review and negotiation of salary offers, promotions, etc., for assigned clients.
8. Establishes and maintains open lines of communication, both verbal and written, with all client groups in order to effectively represent department services and provide HR services that meet client needs and facilitate change.
9. Organizes, inputs and ensures the maintenance of HR information into the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Generates and analyzes a variety of reports in order to develop and recommend solutions, programs and or policies to the client base. Facilitates the processing and distribution of reports as needed.
10. Completes special projects or assignments as required, which may include administering employee recognition programs, participation on committees, and coordination of special events etc.
11. Identifies training needs and facilitates training, to include orientation) for business units and/or specific individuals. Participates in the evaluation, monitoring and measurement of the success for training programs. Follows-up to ensure training objectives are met.
12. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
13. Establishes and continuously assesses the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures. Ensures employees are trained on the controls within the function and on University policy and procedures.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and train others
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, reports and correspondence
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c106