A&S Desktop Support Technician
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-06
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Desktop Support Technician acts as the first point of contact for help desk support of desktop and network issues to all departments within the College of Arts and Sciences. Respond to user/trouble reports and personally visit faculty and staff to troubleshoot the nature of the problem. Will take the necessary course of action to resolve issues.
Core Job Functions:
• Acts as first point of contact in the problem determination process, for desktop and network issues.
• Provides quality customer service to all clients in a timely and professional manner.
• Organizes and prioritizes support requests.
• Monitors, administers, tracks, and verifies completion of help desk tickets.
• Assists staff with the installation, configuration, and ongoing usability of desktop computers, peripheral equipment, and software.
• Prepares, installs, tests, and certifies any desktop configuration, including any software drivers.
• Conducts basic troubleshooting for desktop and laptop computers.
• Applies migration from previous PC and executes PC hardware moves.
• Loads and configures software at desktop.
• Verifies software is functional and escalates issues.
• Decommissions any existing hardware that has been replaced.
• Completes, updates, and closes Service Center tickets.
• Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Problem Determination and Resolution:
• Develops and periodically refines systems and procedures for efficiently handling customer service calls.
• Provides technical expertise and assists clients in sophisticated problem determination and resolution.
• Prioritize and respond to service requests and delegating appropriate tasks to student assistant.
• Provide technical and audio/visual support for lectures, presentations, symposiums and conferences.
• Provide Video Teleconferencing support for faculty and staff presentations, lectures and dissertations.
• Assist departmental and program requests regarding video capture and streaming for online and hybrid curricula.
Installation, Configuration and Maintenance
• Evaluates and recommends emerging technologies, hardware, software and methods to ensure the best utilization of current and future technologies for the College.
• Conducts needs analysis studies and confers with supervisor to determine computing needs.
• Responsible for installation, configuration and troubleshooting of individual and student lab computers, and peripherals. Requires thorough familiarity with Windows and Mac OS as well as Microsoft Office.
• Provides quality customer service to all clients in a timely and professional manner (in person, by telephone, by remote desktop or via email).
• Assists Desktop Support Supervisor and IT Manager with day-to-day tasks and special projects.
• Assist Desktop Support Supervisor with service maintenance and administration.
• Create and manage Active Directory user accounts and permissions.
• Supervises and trains student employees.
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
• Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
• Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
• Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
• Commitment to the University’s core values.
• Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
• Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's degree preferred (i.e., Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or related major).
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Minimum 1 year of relevant experience. Excellent problem solving and resolution skills, strong customer service and ability to prioritize tasks required. Other technical skills required include an overall knowledge of network protocols and common operating systems (i.e., Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux, Apple Mac OS).
• Preferred but not required experience with the following software: Adobe CC suite, Office 365 Suite, Apple Remote Desktop, Mathematica, R, OnBase, SAS JMP, SPSS. Stata.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:i102