Job Title: Research Technician
Job ID: 605056
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Pathogen and Microbiome Institute (PMI) at Northern Arizona University seeks a Research Technician to perform basic and applied research. The top candidates for this position should have experience with molecular genetic analyses and microbiology, including DNA isolation, qPCR assay design, data interpretation and troubleshooting, DNA sequencing, creation of targeted gene deletions in Coccidioides, and handling biological materials in a biosafety level 2 (BSL-2) work environment. There is a possibility of future work in the PMI BSL-3 laboratory that would involve handling the fungal pathogen Coccidiodies and assisting with animal work.Primary duties will include:
- Producing deletion constructs
- DNA/RNA extractions using BSL-2 handling techniques
- Conducting PCR, agarose gels, real-time PCRs
- Organizing and assisting with media and reagent prep
- Conduct microbiology techniques under BSL-2 conditions, with the possibility of future work implementing BSL-3 conditions.
- Work both independently and in a team-based environment
- Assist with management of undergraduate students
- Laboratory general management, instrument maintenance, and upkeep of shared reagent stocks
- Work safely with potentially hazardous materials, such as laboratory chemicals and disease-causing organisms
- Attend required safety trainings
- Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment; OR,
- Four years lab research experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- For positions involving future BSL3 work, additional qualifications would include:
- Willingness and ability to pass a Department of Justice Select Agent Program Security Risk Assessment
- Willingness and ability to participate in occupational health monitoring required by Northern Arizona University
- Technical proficiency in molecular microbiological techniques such as DNA extraction/quantification, PCR, gel electrophoresis, sanger sequencing.
- General microbiology experience including bacterial culturing and isolation, and aseptic technique, and basic cell staining techniques
- Experience in conventional and quantitiative PCR assay design, development, and validation
- Experience with library preparations for the Illumina platform (whole genome and amplicon sequencing)
- Biosafety level 2 experience
- Experience with data entry and analysis
- Basic bioinformatics analysis (sequence alignment, NCBI blast, in-house bioinformatics pipeline and analysis tools)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills are necessary
- Experience with laboratory safety and the ability to safely handle hazardous materials (laboratory chemicals and biohazardous materials)
- Biosafety level three animal experience
- Experience with animal (murine) infection and immunology
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques used in molecular genetic analysis
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals and biohazardous materials
- Candidate must be well-organized, with an eye for detail
- Skills with analyzing and evaluating scientific data
- Ability to work successfully within a large team-based laboratory group
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work with people from culturally diverse backgrounds
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
October 20, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.