Posting DetailsPosition TitleMedia SpecialistRequisition NumberSCA00413General Description
The Media Specialist writes clear and compelling copy that consistently conveys the College’s brand and messages. The position prepares internal and external communications, press materials, newsletters, electronic and print publications and other collateral materials. This position reports to the Director of Communications and collaborates with the Directors of marketing and Creative Services.Specific Responsibilities
• Write clear, persuasive and original copy to convey the College’s message through all media formats.
• Collaborate with marketing, web and design staff to develop effective public relations materials that are on target with the College’s brand.
• Report and write press materials, blogs and articles about College events, institutional and faculty achievements, timely educational issues and program development. Distribute information to the media and public and follow-up to encourage media coverage events and College developments.
• Report and write articles about College graduates, students, faculty and administrators, as well as campus events for Transcripts, Pathways, and other College produced newsletters and magazines as necessary.
• Research and write commentary and talking points for the College as necessary.
• Maintain strong personal relationships with journalists and offer relevant story ideas to encourage coverage of College events and achievements and higher education issues.
• Brainstorm ideas, concepts, and public relations strategies with other staff, submit ideas and discuss progress.
• Proofread copy to check spelling/grammar and ensure content accuracy and consistency between documents and style manual.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner.
• Research and investigate complex education issues and produce readable briefing papers and newsletters.
• Track and arrange media coverage, including distribution of regular media clippings to College community.
• Maintain communication with journalists across multiple platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and discussion forums; staying abreast of evolving public relations strategies regarding social media and news distribution.Minimum Qualifications
• Associate’s degree required.
• Two (2) years experience in marketing and/or public relations required.
• Strong proficiency in grammar, advanced writing skills, and critical thinking skills required.
• Copy-editing/proofreading, and typing skills required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Internet search proficiency required.
• Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines required.
• Ability to think creatively and effectively execute ideas required.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or Journalism preferred.
Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.
• Experience reporting, writing, and editing with a major daily news organization or magazine preferred.
• Awareness of the media, reporters and editors in the greater Philadelphia area preferred.
• Knowledge of educational institutions, especially higher education institutions preferred.Work LocationMain CampusBenefitsSpecial Instructions to Applicants
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on October 20, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank1Salary RangeSalary commensurate with relevant work experienceJob Posting Open Date10/06/2020Job Posting Close DateType of PositionAdministratorJob CategoryEmployment Status Full-TimeSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- The Chronicle
- Job Fair
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- CCP - Faculty Recruiting Event
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, or Journalism?
- * Do you have two (2) years of experience in marketing and/or public relations?
- * Do you have experience in reporting, writing, and editing with a major daily news organization or magazine?
- * Do you have awareness of the media, reporters and editors in the greater Philadelphia area?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application