AmeriCorps Technical Assistant - Grant funded (PT)
Position Title: AmeriCorps Technical Assistant - Grant funded (PT)
Salary: $15.00 per hour
High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma with a minimum of one (1) year of construction related experience preferred or no High School Equivalency, but actively seeking HSE with two (2) years’ experience in the construction field required. Must possess a strong commitment to assisting youth succeed in an innovative training program to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills and enable them to make a difference in their community required. Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a multiracial and multicultural group of youth required. Understanding of the issues facing youth in the community and a willingness to learn from our youth required. Must be team-oriented and with a non-judgmental attitude. Some travel is required for this position. A valid driver license is preferred. A successful three part background check is required to fill this position.
This professional will be an intricate part of a team helping at risk youth in our Department of Labor YouthBuild grant assisting 18-24 year olds prepare for workforce and educational advancement. This person as a construction and youth advocate will work with our team to educate, motivate and implement programmatic requirements meeting the grants desired outcomes. This individual will also assist with recruitment and retention of perspective candidates for the MVCC EOC programs.
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
Works collaboratively with the MohawkValley YouthBuild grant-funded project team to build the youths’ leadershipskills. Assists youth in the YouthBuild program with all construction relatedprogramming, including certifying students with a nationally-recognizedcredential. Provides youth of diverse backgrounds and from the high-needspopulation of the City of Utica with rigorous academic instruction,occupational skills and training and viable pathways to college and careers.
- Works with programparticipants on “hands-on” projects and provides conceptual and experientialtraining opportunities within the local community;
- Supervises programparticipants at the construction worksite to ensure that program participantsare following safety precautions;
- Attends necessary trainingsthat benefit the YouthBuild program and participants;
- Participates in projectplanning and decision making as part of the construction team;
- Works with local employersand union representatives to assist trainees in passing union tests andenrolling in apprenticeship programs;
- Works with dedicatedconstruction site’s timelines to complete projects in a timely manner with orwithout active participants.
- Partners with localagencies on special events and projects;
- Performs other duties asassigned by the Director of the Education Center.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 10/19/2020
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.