Retention Assistant #499727
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112012Position TitleRetention Assistant #499727FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentNursingJob Summary/Basic Function
The Retention Assistant is responsible for providing support services to The Caring Place, a nursing student support center. Additionally the Retention Assistant is responsible for developing innovative ways to assist individuals in being successful in the Lamar University Undergraduate Nursing Studies Programs. In this capacity the Retention Assistant works closely with the Retention Coordinator and Director of Undergraduate Nursing Studies and reports to the Department Chair.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED E=essential):
E1.Maintains academic standards as established by the department, college, and university.
E2. Assists in the day to day operations of The Caring Place.
E3.Supervises Caring Place personnel and all Caring Place activities.
E4.Facilitates students’ learning through activities in The Caring Place and retention initiatives in undergraduate nursing courses.
E5.Counsels students regarding academic performance.
E6.Refers students to university and community resources to support students’ academic success in the nursing programs, and tracks students’ utilization of resources.
E7.Collaborates with faculty to identify learning resources for students who fail an exam in undergraduate nursing courses.
E8.Assists the Recruitment and Retention Committee to recruit qualified students to Lamar University Nursing Programs.
E9. Assists the Recruitment and Retention Committee to develop and implement programs to improve retention of undergraduate nursing programs.
E10.Collaborates with the Admission, Progression, Exception, and Graduation Committee to identify admission criteria predictive of success in the undergraduate programs.
E11.Coordinates the maintenance of accurate and complete student records delineating utilization of The Caring Place resources and related student success.
E12.Maintains accurate and complete tracking of retention rates (program completion and persistence rates) and reasons for attrition in all undergraduate nursing programs.
Three years nursing experience required. Three years teaching experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1.Leadership skills related to coordination of retention activities.
2.Effective verbal/written communication skills.
3.Application of knowledge of effective teaching-learning strategies, and instructional design and implementation.
4.Student advocacy abilities within the framework of department and university policies.
5.Effective interpersonal skills with students and colleagues
6.Strong organizational skills.
Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Texas.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred QualificationsSecurity Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/06/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * What is the highest level of education that you have achieved?
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have in clinical nursing?
- more than 5
- * How many years of teaching experience do you have? In what field of study? Briefly list.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you currently licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of Texas?
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Transcript 1
- Official Transcript 2