Assistant Professor of Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development
Posting DetailsJob TitleAssistant Professor of Environmental Engineering and Sustainable DevelopmentPosition Number997736DepartmentEngineering Salary$81,000 - $85,000Job Summary/Description
Angelo State University is seeking a dynamic and energetic engineering faculty member with a focus in environmental engineering and sustainable development to join our team in the growing David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering. Angelo State is a teaching-focused, Hispanic Serving Institution and member of the Texas Tech University System. The engineering department offers both civil and mechanical engineering programs.
The engineering program features a common core engineering curriculum shared between civil and mechanical engineering. Currently, the civil engineering program has 90 majors. The program graduated its first majors in December 2018 and received ABET accreditation in August 2020. The mechanical engineering program currently has 110 majors and will graduate its first class in May 2021.
The successful candidate must be able to apply culturally responsive pedagogy in teaching; work collaboratively to maintain a practice-oriented, integrated, broad-based engineering curriculum; teach applications of sustainable development across engineering disciplines as well as environmental design courses within civil engineering; actively participate in assessment duties; and involve undergraduate students in research.
This is a full-time tenure-track, nine-month, Assistant Professor position.Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Participate in maintaining an integrated, practice oriented environmental engineering curriculum with emphasis in civil and mechanical engineering.
2. Participate in the improving the engineering curriculum to be culturally relevant to our diverse student population.
3. Teach, develop, and continuously improve courses and labs to support the curriculum.
4. Maintain and operate an environmental engineering laboratory.
5. Participate in assessment efforts to support curricular development and ABET accreditation.
6. Teach courses including environmental engineering, sustainable development, and engineering design.
7. Teach and support foundational engineering courses (freshman- and sophomore-level).
8. Advise undergraduate students.
9. Develop a program of scholarly activities which involves undergraduate students and is consistent with the candidate’s interests and university objectives.
- Knowledge of undergraduate education, coursework, and challenges, and how it fits within the broader environmental engineering areas.
- Ability to create active, innovative student learning environments.
- Ability to effectively apply technology to improve student learning.
- Ability to perform formative and summative assessment of student learning and apply results of assessment to improve student learning.
- Familiarity with engineering education research and ability to apply best practices.
- Ability to create culturally responsive environments conducive to the academic success of women, Hispanic, and other underrepresented student groups.
- Earned doctorate in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Engineering Education, or a closely related field.
- Effective communication, teamwork, and planning skills.
- Record of or potential for scholarly work.
- University level classroom teaching experience
- Coursework or formal training in engineering education pedagogy
- Experience in course and curriculum development
- Experience in engineering education and/or culturally relevant pedagogical practices
- Have a professional engineering license or ability to obtain one
- Certifications in areas of sustainable development
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting NumberF139POpen Date09/28/2020Close DateDesired Start Date08/10/2021Review Start Date01/05/2021Open Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
1. Cover Letter should be no longer than 2 pages and should discuss the potential to involve undergraduate students in the candidates scholarly work.
2. The Teaching Philosophy should be no longer than 2 pages and include a discussion of the use of the candidates technology and on-line resources in teaching.
3. The required Other Document should be no longer than 2 pages and should discuss of how the candidate would help achieve Angelo State University’s goal to attract and graduate more women, Hispanic, and students from other underrepresented groups.Required Number of ReferencesSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Transcripts (Unofficial)
- List of References