Assistant to the Chair, Marketing Department - Daniels College of Business
University of Denver is the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, with approximately 12,000 students in the undergraduate and graduate programs. DU is classified as a Doctoral/Research University with high research activity. The Daniels College of Business is one of the largest colleges within the University, with 1,600 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students. We offer a variety of majors and minors, including two bachelor degrees, five MBA degree programs and seven specialized masters degrees.
This position will be required to work on campus.
This is a full-time, benefited position, responsible for advanced office management and administrative work requiring initiative and independent judgment. Tasks include general office management, reception of visitors and answering of telephones, assisting faculty and students with course needs and bureaucratic challenges, and managing mail services. Incumbent is also responsible for managing departmental processes (tenure reviews, hiring procedures, scheduling lectures, requesting classrooms and meeting rooms, processing reimbursements, etc.) and monitoring departmental budgets. Incumbent would be located within the Department of Marketing. Incumbent may have contact with high level administrative offices requiring use of business vocabulary, tact, discretion, and judgment.
The person holding this position will perform varied advanced office management and administrative work unique to the work unit requiring initiative and independent judgment. Incumbent works independently under general direction and handles problems and non-routine situations by determining the approach or action to take and interprets guidelines, procedures, policies, and practices. Must provide excellent service to students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to those from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, and promote the values and practices of inclusive excellence, especially with regard to issues of gender, sexuality, and other intersecting identities.
Office Management, Administrative, Customer Experience
- Provide reception and assistance to Chair.
- Answer email queries.
- Manage all aspects of mail: distributes mail to the appropriate recipients in a timely and correct manner.
- Manage office area including interface with visitors, students, faculty, and the public.
- Keep the office area professional, neat, clean, organized and running smoothly on a daily basis including the copier/printer areas.
- Organize and maintain physical and electronic files by business function, curriculum and faculty member.
- Responsible for monitoring the departmental budget including: direct pays, p-card reconciliations, requisitions, contract routing and purchase order processing. Reconcile fund accounts, gifts, and expenses with original support documents and in the Banner system.
- All purchases are mapped directly to the budget and variances from budget are reported to the department chair in a timely manner.
- Expense reports are thorough, explaining precisely what the expense was and the appropriate account to which it should be charged.
- P-card purchases are reconciled with receipts each month in a timely manner.
- Vendor invoices are paid on time
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to independently exercise sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and act professionally.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Experienced, intermediate level user of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty, students, other staff, and the public.
- Accurate data entry.
- High School Diploma
- 2 years work experience in an office support role.
- Bachelors Degree.
- 3 years work experience in office support role within a university setting.
- Experience in technical writing, graphic design, marketing, and project management.
- willingness to learn
- Outstanding business, professional, and/or academic/technical writing skills preferred. Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, October 20th, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $20.00 - $22.00.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.