Extension Agent, 4-H
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190117CEPosition NumberWT-00002152-1020Position TypeNC Cooperative ExtensionJob City & StateHenderson, NCDepartment Henderson CountyWorking TitleExtension Agent, 4-HAppointment12 Month RecurringJob TypeFull-Time - PermanentFTE1Position InformationEssential Job Duties
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications, and events, Cooperative Extension field faculty deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizensOther Work/Responsibilities
•The 4-H Agent receives direct supervision from the County Extension.
Travel within county is required; district and state travel are required occasionally.
Develop curriculum and learning outcomes and maintain organized 4-H programs in accordance with the mission of the 4-H organization and North Carolina Cooperative Extension.
Provide leadership to an educational process through which youth and adults learn the skills of understanding self; acquiring, analyzing and using information; communicating and relating to others; problem solving and decision making; managing resources; and working with others.
Develop and deliver objective and research-based educational programs to meet the needs of diverse audiences, specify program goals and objectives, and identify resources needed.
Market 4-H programs and the 4-H organization to the community using various media.
Determine educational needs and impact by assessing and evaluating the 4-H programs curriculum and learning outcomes on a regular basis to ensure the needs of the community are being served.
Organize and assist with teaching 4-H clubs, summer day camp, school enrichment activities and other special youth programs.
Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to assist with the implementation and maintenance of the 4-H programs.
Work collaboratively with other Extension programs, staff, agencies and community organizations to meet the subject matter needs of the 4-H programs and the individuals that the programs serve.
Promote county, district, state and national level participation in the 4-H organization within the community.
Develop 4-H curriculum that follow North Carolina Cooperative Extension, North Carolina State University, North Carolina A&T State University, state, county and national laws, policies, and guidelines.
Other duties as assigned.
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in child or youth development or related field. The minimum GPA requirement will be waived for NCCE Program Associates with a Bachelor’s degree. – A Bachelor’s degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master’s degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field, or – Completion of a Master’s degree with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities. Personal Attributes: Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Agent’s job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension.Department Required Skills
The 4-H Agent must have the ability to work with diverse audiences, connect well with people and be a team player. He/she must be able to work independently with minimal supervision. Must possess good written and oral communication skills. Must be able to multitask and switch tasks quickly. Must have good organizational skills.Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
Strong oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge and experience planning, conducting, and evaluating participatory Extension or non-formal education programs.
Knowledge of child and human development
Knowledge and willingness of adult involvement and working relationships.
Basic knowledge of educational technologies and their appropriate use in the development and delivery of educational programs.
Knowledge and willingness to involve and manage volunteers in program development and delivery.
Self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and set priorities.
Possess strong work ethic with skills in leadership, communications, networking, budgeting, and public relations.
Strong computer and technical competencies, including experience and knowledge in mass media, marketing and presentations.
Ability to work, teach and interact with a diverse population.
Excellent time and resource management skills.
Ability to plan, organize, and work well with people.
Programming will be conducted in compliance with Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Civil Rights policies and procedures.
Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
Communicating with people outside of the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, by telephone or by email.
Ability to network with community partners and agencies and maintain the working relationships.
Travel connected with official duties may be required. This may include attendance at night and/or weekend meetings, participation in out-of-town county events. Required to have personal mobility/transportation and obtain/maintain valid driver’s license and appropriate liability insurance. Must have willingness to work necessary hours to fulfill job responsibilities (some evenings and weekends).
•The position requires lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 30 pounds frequently. The job also requires sustained periods of standing and sitting and occasional periods of kneeling, stooping and reaching. The job occasionally requires exposure to extreme heat and humidity and exposure to the sun. The person must be able to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound. The job requires appropriate visual acuity with or without correction and dexterity to perform the normal duties of the job.
Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation required and must be maintained.
In order to operate a state vehicle, a valid Driver’s License is required and must be maintained
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * All agent positions require a minimum education requirement of: A. A Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or 3.0 in major field of study (based on a 4.0 scale); B. A Bachelor's degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master's degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher; C. A completed Master's degree. Do you meet this minimum education requirement?
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section A above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section B above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section C above.
- No, however I am in my last semester of study.
- No, I do not meet this requirement.
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Youth and Adult Development--The knowledge of the growth and development process over the life span and its application in the creation of environments which optimize human potential.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Volunteerism for Youth Development--The integration of knowledge related to adult and youth development, organizational systems, volunteer research, and management practices to build and maintain volunteer management systems for the delivery of youth development programs.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Organizational Systems for Youth Development--The knowledge of organizational systems and resource management practices that lead organizations to the fulfillment of their missions.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Partnerships for Youth Development--The knowledge of the process and contextual factors which enhance the ability of community members to work together to improve the quality of life for youth and their families.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Learning strategies for Youth Development--The knowledge of theory and its application in the design and evaluation of learning experience for positive youth development.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References