Director of Development
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190647EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleDirector of DevelopmentAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education and experience.Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; some night and weekend hours are required.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment Dean's Office-college Of ManagementAbout the Department
The Poole College of Management Development and External Relations office develops partnerships with alumni and friends through communications, alumni relations, and development to increase private support for the College.
Founded in 1992, the College has experienced extraordinary growth in a short period of time, including securing the only named deanship at the only named college at NC State University. The College fundraising team works closely with other colleagues across the University, with our colleagues in the College (faculty, staff and student leaders), and with volunteers.
To learn more about the Poole College of Management Office of Development and External Relations, please visit: https://poole.ncsu.edu/alumniEssential Job Duties
The Director of Development (DOD) will develop private support for established priorities of Poole College of Management by developing relationships between faculty and alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation leaders that result in effective partnerships and increased philanthropic funding. The Director of Development will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward gifts with a focus on increasing the pipeline of major gift ($50,000 and above) prospects and private support for the Poole College of Management.
The DOD is responsible for meeting individual fundraising and contact goals and will provide direction for a portfolio of major gift prospects. The DOD will also assist in providing direction for the development program, campaign planning and in relationship building with alumni and other constituents of the college. This DOD will work closely with faculty and volunteers in developing external relationships with potential donors.
This role reports to the Executive Director of Development and External Relations for the College.Other Responsibilities
The Director will participate in developing and managing stewardship and cultivation events, and will perform other duties as required or assigned.
Regular travel and occasional night and weekend work is required.Minimum Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- At least three years’ experience in major gift fundraising or a related field. Strong preference for fundraising experience in a higher education setting.
- Proven experience in working with six-figure gifts or comparable sales and marketing accounts, including the ability to evaluate, qualify, and move prospects through the cultivation/solicitation cycle.
- Ability to work well with faculty, administrators, volunteers, and other advancement and development colleagues as part of a team in a large, complex research university.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Strong organization and analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing business deals.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and ethics of fundraising.
- Self-motivated and self-starting.
- Computer Literacy.
- Ability to travel frequently around the state of North Carolina and some out of state travel.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Prefer five or more years’ experience in fundraising and proven experience in closing six- and seven- figure major gifts.
- Experience in a comprehensive campaign at a major university with an institutional goal of at least $100 million.
- An understanding of the land grant, research Tier One university environment.
A valid North Carolina driver’s license is required within 60 days of start date. Must be maintained as a condition of employment. Regular local travel and some regional/out-of-state travel is required for this position.Valid NC Driver's License requiredYesCommercial Driver's License requiredNoJob Open Date09/30/2020Anticipated Close Date10/31/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your application please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for at least three professional references.Position Number00060113Position TypeSAAO Tier IIFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.0Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID200101 - Dean's Office-college Of ManagAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References