Professional Career Counselor
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Denver Career CenterProfessional Career Counselor (Student Services Intermediate Professional)Position #699985– Requisition #19331
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Career Center has an opening for a full time University Staff (unclassified) Career Counselor position.
As Colorado’s public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research, creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver graduates gain the powerful combination of immersive classroom and real-world experience that are in demand today. The city benefits from well-educated, top talent and a new generation of knowledge that fuels the future of Denver and our region. We are CU in the City.
CU Denver offers more than 100 degree programs, from the bachelor’s to the doctoral level, in the heart of downtown. Here, more than 15,000 students pursue academic programs that range from global energy management to music industry studies to criminal justice. As part of the state’s largest public university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with nearly 2,500 employees and annual economic impact of $800 million.
Jobs in this career family support students' emotional and physical well-being and intellectual, cultural and social development outside the context of the formal instruction program or traditional academic unit. Functions include student counseling, career guidance, residence life, multicultural affairs, support of student activities and organizations, recreation services and intramural athletics administration.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and development capacity.
Position Emphasis:This position provides comprehensive career counseling and advising to a diverse body of undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni regarding goal setting, major/career direction, skill analysis, résumé preparation, job search, networking strategies, and interviewing skills. The career counselor will work with students using career assessment tools (such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory, and StrengthsQuest) as well as develop and present workshops, seminars, outreach efforts, events, and program initiatives (in-person and online) that relate to career development and job search activities. The career counselor will also lead efforts in building relationships and facilitating programming with first year student departments (e.g., FYE, Pre-collegiate, Admissions, etc.) Additional duties include assisting in coordinating special events including panel discussions, networking events, workshops and presentations, seminars, outreach efforts, and program initiatives that relate to career development and job search activities.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:The salary range (or the hiring range) for this position has been established at $39,524 to $43,092 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefitsTotal Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Communication, Sociology, Counseling, Liberal Arts, Education, Human Service, Student Affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year of professional level experience in career counseling, coaching, and/or advising in a higher education setting (internships may be included).
- A Master’s degree in Counseling, Student Affairs, Higher Education or a directly related field
- One (1) year of experience career counseling, coaching, advising, and/or generally supporting culturally and ethnically diverse individual’s development in Higher Education or college setting (excluding internship).
- Experience attending and/or facilitating workshops related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Professional training and/or certificate/licensure in the MBTI, SII, and/or StrengthsQuest.
- Bi-lingual and experience using bilingual skills to support people of color in obtainment of personal and professional goals.
- Experience meeting with online students (videoconferencing/webcam) and facilitating programming such as presentations and workshops online.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Strong counseling and natural leadership skills, ability to connect with students and assess their needs.
- Exceptional presentation skills and ability to facilitate discussions.
- Proficient with technology such as Microsoft Office 365 and videoconference/webcam (Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.).
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Oct 6, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing