RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, ADVANCED
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed working strictly with adult populations or working only with neonatal, pediatric populations, but not with both.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities required of a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Evaluate appropriateness of medical orders.
- Proficient in the application of mechanical ventilator modalities.
- Proficient in the application of Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation (NPPV); Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP)
- Perform endotracheal intubation under the observation of a Clinical Team Lead.
- Perform extubations.
- Serve as member of the code/ emergency team. Administer medical gases. Insert nasogastric and orogastric tubes.
- Perform tracheotomy tube changes.
- Perform capnography monitoring. Transport patients requiring mechanical ventilation or airway protection.
- Interpret clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives.
- Participate in clinical rounds with physicians; nurses and other health care providers
- Assist with Bronchoscopy.
- Assist with orientation and training of Resp. Care Practitioner.
- Assure safe operations of devices in the MRI.
- Qualified for certification in the hyperbaric chamber if applicable to the institution scope of practice
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interaction relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certification of competencies for the duties and responsibilities required for a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Skills validation / certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately 20 pounds.
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending. Customer service and communication expertise
EducationCompletion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program requirements (Associates Degree or the equivalent). Must maintain annual skill maintenance requirements Must maintain annual safety/compliance Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEUs
ExperienceSix months to one year of clinical experience following graduation from a respiratory care program.
Degrees, Licensures, CertificationsNorth Carolina State Licensure Registry ( RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC) Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRPS) if applicable to institution
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.