Director of Admissions
Category:: Professional Staff
Department:: Admissions Office
Locations:: Fredonia, NY
Posted:: Oct 6, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About State University of New York at Fredonia:
The State University of New York at Fredonia is a comprehensive, selective, public, residential, liberal arts university located in beautiful Western New York, just minutes from Lake Erie. Founded in 1826, the university is among the most storied in the State University of New York system and is the first in the SUNY system to be awarded the SUNY Shared Governance Award. It is home to a world-renowned School of Music and over 100 degree programs in the liberal arts, natural and social sciences, education, and business. Fredonia also features cutting-edge programs in the emerging fields of technology, service, and communication and is consistently ranked among the top public, master's granting universities in the North by U.S. News and World Report.
Fredonia is known for its strong academic programs, attractive architecture and grounds, rich campus life, and commitment to student engagement and success. Fredonia is focused on ensuring that all Fredonia students, utilizing knowledge developed through a broad range of intellectual experiences, will be:
- Skilled (develop Intellectual and Applied Skills, Literacies and Knowledge),
- Connected (engage Community and Diversity: Local Stewardship, Global Citizenship),
- Creative (demonstrate Scholarship, Artistry, and Innovation), and
- Responsible (activate Sustainability, Ethics, Leadership, and Professionalism).
The Office of Admissions is home to dedicated staff members dedicated to providing prospective students and their families with engaging and supportive transition to college.
Rewards & Benefits
- Competitive compensation plus comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, and vision insurance and retirement plan options including a fixed pension plan or a 401(A) with generous employer contributions;
- Paid leave provisions including sick and holiday leave; impressive educational benefits including tuition-free study plus supplemental tuition aid;
- A rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of their personal life, including professional development programs and services, employee EAP and wellness programs, discounted membership to the on-campus fitness center, and access to the Campus and Community Child Care Center.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Enrollment Services, the successful candidate will:
- Administer and direct outreach and recruitment efforts aimed at prospective students including, first time freshman, transfer students, parents, counselors, and related partnership programs. Direct Supervision of 7-10 professionals including Associate Director of Admissions Operation, Assistant Directors, and Admissions Counselors in the Recruitment Team.
- Annually developing a comprehensive plan for admissions recruitment and yield initiatives and for implementing a 24-month recruitment calendar. Including measuring the success and impact of recruitment initiatives.
- Manage relationship-building with external constituents including high schools, community colleges, College Access CBO (Community-Based Organizations).
- Travel both regionally and throughout the north-east in the recruitment of prospective students and management of a recruitment territory.
- Focus on continuous improvement in terms of "operational efficiencies" with all Admissions related functions, processes, and tasks.
- Continuously update and execute a comprehensive segmented admissions marketing communications plan.
- Collaborate with the Office of Marketing & Communications, and Athletics along with other units to ensure the continued development of the Fredonia Brand in regional and national markets.
- Utilize predictive modeling and data-driven techniques throughout the admissions process including: student search, prospects, applicants, accepts, deposits, and enrolled students.
- Play a leadership role in campus wide efforts to increase diversity and downstate and international enrollments. Further develop recruitment related initiatives geared toward increasing out-of-state market share, applications, and yield.
- Be an active and contributing member of an exceptional team by building and promoting positive professional working relationships across campus.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of admissions policies and procedures which are aligned with the "Statement of Principles of Good Practice" created by NACAC.
- Be aware of, understand, and follow all university policies.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in undergraduate admissions with a proven track record of meeting and exceeding goals.
- Proven ability to lead, develop, motivate, and supervise staff.
- Experience in the development of comprehensive recruitment and enrollment plans.
- Proficient with technology and its implementation into an effective recruitment plan.
- Solid experience and comprehensive knowledge related to the role of marketing.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents.
- Ability, adaptability, and willingness to work flexible hours and extended days within a very fluid ever-changing environment.
- Must have experience and competence in managing budgets.
- Clear understanding and background in utilizing and collecting data and analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively, and in a collegial and professional manner, with students, faculty, and staff. Ability to present dynamically to groups of prospective students ranging from 2-2,000.
- The ability to multi-task, meet goals and deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and constituents in support of campus and department mission.
- Demonstrated commitment to the university, division, and profession.
- Demonstrated track record of progressive leadership that is both inclusive and collaborative.
- Possess an outgoing, positive, professional demeanor and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of change and budgetary challenges.
- Experience with Banner (SIS), Slate (CRM), and imaging systems.
- Interest in, and commitment to, community engagement.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
This is a full-time, term appointed, Appendix A position beginning December, 2020.
This title is in Appendix A of the SUNY Policies of the Board of Trustees and, as a consequence, incumbents serving in this title are not eligible for permanent appointment (tenure), but, instead receive five year renewable term appointments.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants.
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, Fredonia provides for, and promotes, equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment, without discrimination.
Pursuant to University policy, the University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, or domestic violence victim status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
The University's policy is in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment. These laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as Amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, and the New York State Human Rights Law. These laws prohibit discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Complete applications received by November 20, 2020 will be given full consideration. Names and contact information for three professional references are required as part of the application.
- Cover Letter
Note: After submitting your Resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload the additional, required documents.