Academic Advisor – School of Professional Studies
Trinity Washington University, a comprehensive university in the Nation’s capital, seeks an academic advisor for the School of Professional Studies. The academic advisors are part of a team focused on ensuring student success at Trinity through close and continuous attention to student academic performance and co-curricular needs, personal challenges and professional ambitions. Advisors must possess superior interpersonal talents, deep interest in the well-being and progress of students through college, knowledge of contemporary research and best practices that encourage student success particularly among low income populations of students. Trinity’s student body includes more than 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, including about 1,000 women in Trinity’s historic women’s college, the College of Arts & Sciences. Another 1,200 women and men enroll in associate, baccalaureate and master’s degree programs in the School of Education, School of Professional Studies, School of Business and Graduate Studies, and School of Nursing and Health Professions.
Reporting to the Dean of the School of Professional Studies , the academic advisor participates in programs, and initiatives to increase, track, and assess enrollment, retention and completion rates. Advisors engage in student outreach, provide academic counseling, maintain academic plans, create resources for academic success, and complete detailed transcript analyses for transfer students. In addition to managing their caseloads, advisors collaborate with the team to assess advising practices and outcomes and use assessment results to guide future advising plans. Advisors work with the team to stay current in best practices in advising.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s Degree required
- LEVEL & TYPE OF EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 1-2 years of progressive academic advising experience at a college or university setting
- Experience working with adult learners preferred
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Extensive insight on various advising methodologies/theories
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of advising methodologies for adult students
- Transcript evaluation experience
- Experience understanding and applying admissions procedures
- Ability to explain program and general university policies
- Well-developed academic counseling techniques
- Strong record management skills
- High degree of organization and ability to follow through
SCHEDULE:SPECIAL LICENSES, REGISTRATION OR CERTIFICATION: N/A
- Minimum of 40 hours per week required
- Some Saturdays and evening work schedule may be required ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions and Tasks):
Applicants must have a minimum of a master’s degree in a related field, and at least two years of academic advising experience at a college or university setting. Strong record keeping, data analysis, and case management skills are important. Thorough knowledge of advising methodology and theory including models for traditional and non-traditional students. English and Spanish proficiency is desirable.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
A cover letter not more than two pages stating alignment of the applicant’s experience and talents with Trinity’s needs, along with a complete c.v. Please click the APPLY HERE NOW link which will take you to the actual online application.
Trinity is dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty, and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.