Warren Wilson College invites applications for the Mailroom Supervisor, a full time, exempt position that supervises and supports student workers in managing the College mailroom. Ideal candidates will possess professional experience working in a postal facility, working knowledge of current postal regulations as well as experience mentoring, engaging and supervising students. Desirable candidates possess the ability to handle multiple tasks with professionalism, tact and sensitivity, and be able to demonstrate effective and courteous interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students and community partners from different backgrounds. If you are interested in applying for this position, please read further to learn more about qualifications and the job responsibilities for this role.
Please note that first consideration will be given to individuals who apply by Friday, October 16, 2020 by 5PM EST. Candidates must apply electronically. Please be advised that relocation is not available for this position.
The Mailroom Supervisor is responsible for the overall operation of the campus mail service. This includes preparation of bulk mailings as requested by departments. The Mailroom Supervisor trains and supervises a student work crew.
Campus Mail Operations
- Manages and participates in the overall operation of the campus post office including the receiving of mail and packages (USPS, FedEx and UPS, etc.) as well as correct processing of outgoing mail and packages.
- Establishes procedures for forwarding mail to faculty, staff and students who are no longer associated with the College.
- Ensures the maintenance of mail machines and that sufficient postage is available.
- Completes special projects, responds to problems and develops solutions.
- Under direction of the Director of Facilities and CFO/VP Administration and Finance, oversight of the Mail expenses and budgets.
- Ensures necessary receipts for insured, certified registered, C.O.D., postage-due mail are delivered, as appropriate. Maintains necessary recordkeeping.
- Ensures that Business Reply Account has sufficient funds, and the appropriate account is debited for all Business Reply Mail received back from the post office.
- Keeps current on postage information; provides advice to the campus concerning postal regulations.
- Responsible for the upkeep on the van assigned to the department.
Student Crew Supervision
- Assist the Work Program Office (WPO) with recruitment and orientation of student crew members.
- Coordinate, communicate and monitor student work schedules, approve student time cards by payroll schedule deadlines; and plan for and delegate appropriate tasks to student crew members.
- Maintain professional boundaries with students.
- Guide students through the learning and performance goals and evaluations process in a timely manner, mentor students to support their professional and educational development.
- Attend WPO supervisor orientation, retreat and required training.
- Collaborate with the staff of the WPO to problem solve any student crew issues that may arise.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Office environment
- Must be able to stand on feet for long periods of time.
- Some weekend and non-traditional hours including holidays are required.
- Full range of motion and manual dexterity needed.
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 75 pounds.
- Associates degree in Business or related field, and one to three years of experience in a postal facility, or current working knowledge of postal regulations.
- Three years of customer service experience
- One year of direct supervisory experience
- One to three years of experience working directly in shipping and handling.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, etc.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Multiple years of direct supervision experience, especially supervising and engaging traditional college-age students.
- Three to five years experience in a postal facility, working with shipping and handling, in a customer service capacity.