Specialist, Grants & Contracts
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Specialist, Grants & Contracts
Job ID 3956
Location Lincoln Park Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
As part of the Office of Research Service’s award management team, this position provides comprehensive support for and monitoring of all personnel actions associated with DePaul’s externally funded grant awards, and it promotes the effective and the compliant use of grant funds by DePaul centers with multiple grant awards.
Responsibilities & Duties
- For all externally funded grant awards, monitors and manages expenses associated with personnel assigned entirely or partially to the corresponding grant accounts. In doing so, maintains a comprehensive, up-to-date schedule of faculty distributions and course buyouts; prepares reallocation/redistribution paperwork to assign or de-assign salary payments to grant accounts; resolves grant-related salary budget issues identified by Restricted Accounting or other DePaul offices; reviews requested personnel actions and resolves issues before forwarding to the Director of Award Management for approval.
- Coordinates the process for disbursing summer faculty compensation from all external grant awards. In doing so, draws on a range of information from PeopleSoft and from grant awards and budgets; initiates requests for position numbers; determines which summer period is to be paid; and monitors for faculty over-commitments. Compiles an annual spreadsheet to guide the submission of payment requests by college-level business offices. As summer compensation is paid, confirms accuracy of payments and works with Restricted Accounting to assign the correct benefits associated with the summer faculty compensation.
- For DePaul Centers funded by multiple external grant awards, collaborates with Principal Investigators and Budget Managers to promote the effective and compliant use of grant funds. This includes providing monitoring and support to help ensure that staff are appropriately funded ; grant funds are utilized as proposed; residual balances under service agreements are satisfactorily assigned; budget modification requests are correctly prepared, as needed; and extensions are considered and solicited as needed.
- For DePaul Centers funded by multiple external grant awards, promotes effective position management. Works with Principal Investigators and Budget Managers to establish new positions (or transfers positions, if appropriate) for new grant accounts that have a salary components; redistributes positions as required and monitors all personnel actions and expenses for compliance with project budgets and sponsor guidelines. Inactivates grant funded positions when complete.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors of Arts.
- Continuing education in Human Resource Management helpful.
- Active grants at DePaul account for over $12.5 million in expenses per year. - In FY 15, there was $5,677,000 charged to personnel salaries (FT, PT, and Student) on externally funded accounts. Certain centers may have grant support in excess of $7,000,000 as well. Number of salary reallocations exceed 145 per year in addition to redistributions.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Excel or Database program (Access) required.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: