Medical Lab Technician V
Posting DetailsPosting NumberS05275PWorking TitleMedical Lab Technician VDepartmentVet Med PathologyAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityNon-Benefits EligibleFull/Part timePart TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Schedule varies Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with occasional Saturday mornings. 24 hours per week.Advertised SalaryCommensurate with experiencePosting Date10/06/2020Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date10/19/2020Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification TitleLaboratory Paraprofessional/ProfessionalFLSANon-ExemptJob FamilyFTE.60Minimum Qualifications
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
Part-time position working in the Clinical Pathology Laboratory in the College of Veterinary Medicine. Duties include performing testing in areas of Hematology, Coagulation, Blood Banking, Urinalysis, Cytology, Endocrinology, and Chemistry. The employee will work independently in organizing and performing laboratory procedures. This employee will be responsible for performing assays, quality assurance, maintenance, and troubleshooting on a variety of analyzers and assays. Employee may also be responsible for teaching fourth year student during the Clinical Pathology rotation.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
1.Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, equipment and techniques of medical technology.
2. Basic use of computer applications.
3. Considerable knowledge of the principles of chemistry, hemotology, urinalysis, cytology, coagulation, and endocrinology as related to performing testing of blood and body fluids.
4. Organizes well, has problem solving skills, basic use of a Lab Information System, as well as Microsoft Word.
5. Excellent communication skills and works well with others.
6. Instruct new personnel, student workers, and fourth year student in a clinical lab environment.
7. Perform assigned tasks according to standard operating procedures and to make accurate observations in test results.
8. Work independently once initial orientation and training is completed.
1. Lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
2. Focus on a large amount of details and draw appropriate conclusions, organize information.
3. Manual dexterity, visual acuity, mathematical skills, problem solving skills, and color discrimination.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
1. Performs a variety of analysis on specimens submitted to the Clinical Pathology Laboratory, ensuring accuracy and testing, documentation, storage, and disposal.
2. Reports laboratory findings in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Ensures safe operation of all lab functions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
1. Operates and maintains various types of laboratory equipment, which may include hematology, chemistry, endocrinology, blood gas analyzers, microscopes, and centrifuges.
2. Assists with or conducts training for new employees and/or fourth year students during their Pathology rotation.
1. Performs microscopic examinations on blood, urine, and cytological specimens.Percentage of time25Duties/Responsibilities
1. Performs Quality Control on analyzers and assays.
2. Keeps documentation necessary to meet ongoing accreditation.
3. Participates in Saturday Lab rotation and may respond in emergency on-call rotation as necessary.
4. Troubleshoots and maintains laboratory equipment.
5. Assists in maintaining a large inventory of supplies necessary for the operation of the laboratory.
6. Other duties within the purpose and scope of this position.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter