Associate Director of Academics (4575U), Haas School of Business 11645
Associate Director of Academics (4575U), Haas School of Business 11645 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 19, 2020
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all. Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
The Executive MBA (EMBA) Program Office is responsible for providing student services and academic support for students in the EMBA program at the Haas School of Business. The EMBA program is 19 months in length and is designed to provide executive level professionals with access to the Berkeley MBA in an accelerated format.
- Manage Academic Planning and Support within the EMBA Program, including:
- Management of student enrollment through the Online Registrar system, including waitlist process for cross-listed courses.
- Participates in planning academic curriculum in collaboration with Executive Director of the EMBA Program to ensure students' progress through course sequences, avoid conflicts, and ensure compliance with campus-wide policies.
- Assists the Executive Director of the EMBA Program on determining course scheduling needs for student progression to graduation. Monitors class and student interest as well as enrollments to most efficiently use resources.
- Supports faculty in all aspects of curriculum delivery. Work with faculty to order/coordinate delivery of books and course packets/readers for classes. Respond to inquiries from faculty and Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) regarding course information, updates, scheduling, evaluations and other matters of importance.
- Assists in selection of faculty for courses.
- Serves as advisor and contact person for class reps.
- Serves as point person for all relations with Office of Registrar, Billing & Payment Services, Summer Sessions, and Graduate Division.
- Manage the process of acquiring course titles and information and working with vendors to order course materials and textbooks.
- Provide Student Services within the EMBA Program, including:
- Communicate regularly with students regarding program updates, events, scheduling and other matters of importance.
- Respond to inquiries from students, internal Haas clients and other campus offices regarding billing, registration, program requirements, and other requests for assistance.
- Regularly meets with students to provide advice and assistance on all aspects of their academic experience, including progression and requirement matters for the department.
- Evaluates and advises students regarding petitions for exceptions to program, school and/or Graduate Division requirements. Identifies students with GPA or progress problems; advises students, and recommends appropriate courses of action by program (e.g., academic probation, dismissal).
- Determines barriers, distractions, and complications affecting a student's academic success and helps students recognize these key non-academic issues. Makes appropriate referrals for additional counseling and/or assistance from other units.
- Supports the Executive Director of EMBA Program in executing strategic initiatives and ideas designed to enhance the student experience, both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Serves as advisor to student officers. Actively engages with students and participates in student activities.
- Maintains comprehensive understanding of University and School policies.
- Assist with Event Planning and Operations within the EMBA Program, including:
- Prepare statistical reports and complete surveys, as needed.
- Work with other program staff in the planning, coordination and implementation of key EMBA events, including Student Orientation, Immersions and Off-sites, Commencement and other currently offered events.
- Work with other program staff to develop new activities and events that enhance the EMBA student experience. On occasion, manages staff, especially administrative support and student workers. Supports the Executive Director of the EMBA Program while working with other campus and school providers.
- Assist with Recruitment and Admissions within the EMBA Program, including:
- Assists the Admissions team with outreach to applicants and with the transition from admitted student to current student.
- Career Development: By embracing the Defining Leadership Principle of “Student Always
- Attend classes to enhance expertise in job areas and improve communication.
- Attend relevant campus training courses or classes to gain knowledge of or to become more proficient with campus policies and/or role-relevant skills.
- Seek additional training opportunities that allow growth within the position and to develop professionally.
- Working knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn University-specific computer application programs. The successful candidate must have a high comfort level with technology, demonstrating proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Access and comfort working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems.
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to advocate for students who generally don't have the time to navigate the Haas and/or UC Berkeley system.
- Ability in problem identification and reasoning; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
- Skills in service orientation, active listening, and critical thinking.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with other departments, programs, universities, community organizations and other institutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work evening and weekends both on-campus and at off-site locations, with occasional travel.
- Familiarity with MBA programs.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
- Previous work experience in student services.
- Experience with university level graduate student services.
- Experience working with professional, executive level clientele.
- Experience working with faculty.
- Experience with or the ability to quickly learn UC policies and systems.
- MBA or related graduate degree and / or equivalent experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience up to 75,500.00
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=11645&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency