Salary: $3,122.00 - $3,950.00 Monthly
Job Type: Classified Full Time
Job Number: 20201005
Closing: 10/19/2020 12:00 PM Pacific
Location: Merced, CA
Interviews tentatively scheduled for the week of November 2, 2020
Merced College is a midsized community college located in California's Central Valley. Founded in 1962, the college serves more than 16,000 students with room to expand on its 267 acre main campus and 120 acre Los Banos site. Merced, incorporated in 1889, offers historical sites, affordable housing, access to the Bay Area and Sacramento, and is the Gateway to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra mountains as well as home to the University of California Merced campus. Our tree-shaded, growing community of just over 80,000 includes multiple biking and walking trails as well as access to several lakes - large and small - throughout the county.
The Groundskeeper I functions as a team member of our Grounds Department. This position provides important services for our staff, students, and members of the community, to include; college athletics, community athletics, and local high school athletics. Our Groundskeepers are tasked with providing a safe and well landscaped and manicured environment that is conducive to student learning along with campus and community pride. In addition to being part of a team, our Groundskeepers also work independently and take ownership and pride in the areas they are assigned. The Grounds Department invites you to apply to join our team whose pride reflects how beautiful the college's landscape is!
Merced College Vision
Merced College will provide transformative and empowering educational experiences to meet student and community needs.
Merced College Mission
Growing our community through education and workforce training:
- lifelong learning
- basic skills
- career technical education
- degree/certificate programs
Under supervision, to perform maintenance and gardening tasks on District grounds, athletic fields, and landscaped areas; and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Mows lawns and fields
- Trims shrubs, hedges and trees
- Sprays flowers and shrubs with insecticides
- Waters lawns and fields
- Hoes weeds and rakes lawns
- Operates power mower and edger
- Operates hand and power mowers and spray equipment
- Spades and prepares grounds around flowers and shrubs
- May assist in sprinkler installation and mainline repairs
- Does general grounds cleanup, including picking up of paper and trash on grounds and parking lots
- May prepares track and playing fields for athletic events
- May drive a truck or tractor
- Maintains grounds equipment and tools
- Other related duties as assigned
- Methods used in caring for plants, shrubs, flowers, trees and lawns
- Lawn planting and cutting procedures
- Safe work practices
- Speak, read and write standard English
- Operate gardening machinery
- Use gardening hand tools
- Lift up to 60 pounds
- Work under extreme heat and cold temperatures
- Carry out oral and written directions
- Work independently
- Train and oversee the work of student assistants
- Work cooperatively with others
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- High school diploma OR GED AND one (1) year of applicable experience
- the equivalent education and experience
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
Possession of valid California driver's license
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in an outdoor environment, seasonal heat and cold or diverse weather conditions. Moderate exposure to fumes, dust, odors, oil/grease and gases, driving a vehicle to conduct work, with some travel to different sites; incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- Working around and with machinery having moving parts
- Working on ladders
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation
- Ability to read printed matter and computer screens
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to bend and twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull
- Ability to lift 60 pounds
- Ability to carry 60 pounds
- Ability to reach in all directions
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to ascend and descend a ladder
- Ability to work in the elements (extreme temperatures)
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
How to Apply: Candidates will submit a complete application on the Merced College Career page at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/transferjobs
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed highly qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee. Finalist interviews with district administrators may follow. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be scheduled via Zoom, - accommodations will be made accordingly. Candidates are required to ensure access to the necessary technology to participate in a Zoom interview.
Employee Benefits: The District pays (with small contribution from employee) health, prescription, vision and dental insurance premiums for the employee and dependents. Life and income protection insurance premiums are provided for the employee only, as well as paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be fingerprinted and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. Merced College does not sponsor visas. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/jobs/2877661/groundskeeper-i
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency