Custodian I - 19 Hour (Part-Time)
Custodian I - 19 Hour (Part-Time)
Salary: $1,318.00 - $1,668.00 Monthly
Job Type: Classified Part time
Job Number: 202010052
Closing: 10/19/2020 12:00 PM Pacific
Location: Merced, CA
Department: Maintenance & Operations
Interviews tentatively scheduled for the week of October 26, 2020
**4% shift differential**
Merced College is a midsized community college located in California's Central Valley. Founded in 1962, the college serves more than 16,000 students with room to expand on its 267 acre main campus and 120 acre Los Banos site. Merced, incorporated in 1889, offers historical sites, affordable housing, access to the Bay Area and Sacramento, and is the Gateway to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra mountains as well as home to the University of California Merced campus. Our tree-shaded, growing community of just over 80,000 includes multiple biking and walking trails as well as access to several lakes - large and small - throughout the county.
The Custodian I functions as a team member of our Maintenance and Operations Department. This position provides important services for our staff, students, and members of the community that use our facilities daily. Our custodial staff are tasked with providing a safe and clean environment that is conducive to student learning. Aside from being part of a team our custodial staff also work independently and take ownership and pride in the areas they are assigned. The Maintenance and Operations Department invites you to apply to join our team!
Merced College Vision
Merced College will provide transformative and empowering educational experiences to meet student and community needs.
Merced College Mission
Growing our community through education and workforce training:
- lifelong learning
- basic skills
- career technical education
- degree/certificate programs
Under general supervision, to keep assigned buildings or building areas clean and orderly; to provide complete floor care and perform minor maintenance duties; and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Sweeps, mops, strips and waxes floors
- Dusts, washes and polishes furniture and woodwork
- Vacuums and steam cleans rugs and carpets
- Empties and cleans waste receptacles
- Cleans erasers and blackboards
- Washes windows, doors, and walls
- Cleans rest rooms
- Sweeps sidewalks and picks up papers
- Cleans drinking fountains
- Polishes metal work
- Fills paper and soap dispensers
- May make minor, non-technical repairs in building maintenance and electrical equipment including replacing light bulbs
- Replenishes supplies
- Turns out lights
- Locks doors and windows
- Observes assigned areas to prevent vandalism
- Assists in moving, arranging and setting up furniture and equipment for special events and meetings
- Reports need for repairs
- Maintains equipment and supplies in proper condition
- Trains and oversees the work of student assistants
- Other related duties as assigned
- Cleaning supplies, methods, materials, and practice
- Speak, read and write standard English
- Carry out oral and written directions
- Work independently
- Perform heavy physical labor
- Lift up to 60 lbs
- Stand and walk for long periods
- Climb stairs
- Train and oversee the work of student assistants
- Work cooperatively with others
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- High school diploma OR GED
- the equivalent education and experience
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
Possession of valid California driver's license
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor work environment with regular exposure to fumes, dust, and odors. There may be travel to different sites and incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals
- Working on ladders
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation
- Ability to read printed matter and computer screens
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to bend and twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull
- Ability to lift 60 pounds
- Ability to carry 60 pounds
- Ability to reach in all directions
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to ascend and descend a ladder
- Ability to work in the elements (extreme temperatures)
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
How to Apply: Candidates will submit a complete application on the Merced College Career page at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/transferjobs
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed highly qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee. Finalist interviews with district administrators may follow. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be scheduled via Zoom - accommodations will be made accordingly. Candidates are required to ensure access to the necessary technology to participate in a Zoom interview.
Employee Benefits: Permanent part-time employees receive paid holidays as well as prorated vacation and sick leave. While permanent part-time employees are not eligible for health/vision/dental care coverage or group life insurance, the District does offer an optional supplemental benefits suite.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be fingerprinted and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. Merced College does not sponsor visas. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/jobs/2877668/custodian-i-19-hour-part-time
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency