Assistant Nurse Manager-Labor and Delivery/Mother Baby Antepartum
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-05
A transformational leader responsible for supporting the nurse manager in administrative duties of the unit, especially during off shifts. The Assistant Nurse Manager will provide leadership by collaborating with members of the health care team to maintain standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting. Participates in organizational and unit based quality improvement activities, and provide input on standards of care. Must provide patient care on an as needed basis and maintain clinical competencies with the potential for weekly patient care shift assignments.
- Supervises care provided by maintaining high visibility to patients/families and staff in the clinical area(s).
- Share accountability with manager for unit/department/organizational goals achievement including patient experience, team member engagement and continuous process improvement.
- Staff management to include recruitment, retention, coaching, training, evaluation and development, as well as preparation and delegation of work schedules and workflow.
- Under supervision from manager, participates in basic human resource functions.
- Provides managerial support as required. Develops implements and participates in Quality Improvement Processes activities. Works with members of the health care team in activities designed to improve patient care outcomes.
- Provides leadership and serves as a resource in the provision of patient care and unit activities. Assists staff in development of problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Maintains all records pertaining to the staff competency and quality audits and other related records.
- Serves as a professional role model, coach, and resource for employees. Participates actively in Nursing and/or hospital committees and work groups and assists in the development and implementation of the units shared governance model.
- Assumes responsibility for own professional growth.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: Graduate of accredited nursing program, Bachelor of Science in Nursing required within 5 years of hire.
Experience: At least two years’ experience as a registered nurse
Licensure: Licensed to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia required.American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping/traveling, climbing (ladder, steps) and driving. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull > 100lbs. May be exposed to fumes, chemicals, vibrations, humidity, cold, heat, noise, outdoor climate, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.