Student Success Advisor
Job no: 493108
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Customer Service, Development, Education and Training, Student Services
The Student Success Advisor is integral in creating a cohesive, transparent experience for online students from the time of inquiry to graduation. Works with students to enhance academic planning, student satisfaction, student persistence and retention.Level Scope:
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Student Success Advisor must:
● Serve as an academic advisor for an online degree program. Assist students in course sequencing, registration, adding and dropping courses, university forms and paperwork.
● Advise admitted students through an orientation to Boise State and the academic program, selecting classes, registration, textbook ordering, and preparing for class start-up.
● Track and project student enrollment, degree plan, and degree progression.
● Discuss academic progress as it relates to degree requirements and student interests. Advise students at key points in time while students are enrolled to get a progress update, identify an appropriate degree path, point out critical future deadlines, and gather feedback regarding overall program experience.
● Coach students through academic difficulties, developing a growth mindset and improving academic beliefs and behaviors to achieve success.
● Engage in intentional and continuous efforts to improve service to and coaching of students, which includes improving internal processes, procedures, resources and published content.
● Interpret academic policy, rules and regulations of online program and university as needed.
● Coordinate with the program coordinator, field advisors, faculty and support staff within the online program to provide coordinated support and advising for the student.
● Demonstrate a high level of maturity and independent judgment when working with various constituencies to analyze and evaluate the needs of the student, accurately assess the situation, determine appropriate information and referrals, exercise discretion to resolve issues, and tailor the message to fit each unique situation.
● Maintain professional flexibility to accommodate rapidly changing processes, program information and priorities.
• Provide resources to students regarding how to prepare for taking and being successful in online classes. In addition to web-based orientation regarding online learning, also advise students on time-management, communicating in an online setting, and use of Blackboard.
• Track and project student enrollment, degree plan, and degree progression.
•Communicate effectively, proactively and regularly with students using telephone, email, and virtual communication tools.
• Serve as student services advocate by providing accurate information related to registration, graduation, credit transfer, degree requirements, tutoring, financial aid, fee payment, course materials/tests, counseling services and community resources. Refer to service specialists as needed.
• Interpret academic policy, rules and regulations of online program and university as needed. Problem solve a variety of student related issues that will involve interpreting policies and procedures, fact-finding, communicating with field experts, creating options, and deciding final action.
•Support the enrollment, retention and graduation goals of the online program, Extended Studies and the University.
• Serve as a contact and advise individuals who indicate interest in pursuing an online degree program through Boise State University. Providing accurate information regarding the academic program attributes, admissions, financial aid, online education and degree plans.
•Provide advice to prospective students about university policies, programs of study and degree options
• Be fully informed of Boise State admission policies and procedures to clearly communicate the intricacies of the process to prospective students.
• Follow-up with prospective students on a regular basis, sharing academic degree details, admission materials needed by the university and the academic program and processes that need to be completed.
• Work with applicants, encouraging them to complete university and academic program specific admission requirements.
• Support the Student Success team to provide information for follow-up with prospective students. Coordinate messaging to create uniformity and consistency across the teams
• Engage in intentional and continuous efforts to improve recruitment of new students who are a good fit for the online program.
• Successfully develop and maintain positive, collaborative, respect-based relationships with co-workers, customers, and stakeholders within and outside of Boise State, including: online program coordinators, academic department leadership, faculty and support staff; Boise State Enrollment Service Offices, Graduate Admissions and Degree Services, Academic Advising and Enhancement, community college transfer center coordinators and academic advisors, community college administrative staff, and professional educators.
• Complete and balance multiple work projects, respond with adaptability to rapidly changing priorities, and work well under pressure. Proven work performance that is reliable, dedicated, productive and exhibits strong self-initiative.
• Provide effective customer-service and to actively listen and appropriately respond to colleague, stakeholder and supervisor needs/requests.
• Work effectively both independently and cooperatively as a member of a team. Willingness to take direction, remain open and amenable to instruction, and quickly acquire/learn/share new knowledge/skills as needed.
● Ability to perform in a manner that is reliable, dedicated, productive and exhibits strong self-initiative.
● Experience in providing excellent customer service.
● Ability to collaborate and negotiate to achieve a desired outcome, to persuade and motivate others to pursue action.
● Experience in handling difficult and sensitive situations, use sound, independent judgment within general policy and legal guidelines. Defuse tension in customer interactions, should it arise.
● Ability to assimilate and organize material and ideas to communicate effectively in a variety of forms.
● Communicate virtually in a professional manner. Compose written material with a succinct, articulate message free of spelling or grammatical errors.
● Knowledge of and understand the online learning environment.
● Establish and maintain effective working relationships with and elicit cooperation from colleagues, members of external groups, and co-workers on complex issues.
● Ability to preserve confidentiality of sensitive information.
● Ability to thrive in a dynamic atmosphere and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
● Be sensitive to the concerns and needs of diverse student populations.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Preferred Qualifications:• Master’s degree in appropriate field from an accredited college or university.
• Experience supporting or advising online learners.
• Experience providing academic advising in a higher education environment.
• Experience with PeopleSoft or similar student information system.
• Experience with Hobson’s Connect or similar Customer Relations Management (CRM) database.Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Recent resume and cover letter
Advertised: October 05, 2020
Applications close: October 23, 2020