Part Time Police Officer
Position Title:Part Time Police Officer Position Number:40010974 Benefits Eligible:No Campus Location:Gainesville Job Close Date:10/19/2020 General Summary:
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Part Time Police Officer on the Gainesville campus. This is regular or special detail police work in protecting life and property on for the University of North Georgia. Work involves professional response to the need for the prevention and detection of crimes, and for generally maintaining law and order. Work also involves patrolling assigned areas, traffic enforcement, accident reporting, and criminal investigations. Assignments are received from superior officers and are carried out under established policies and procedures. However, employees must exercise quick, independent, and sound judgment and display initiative in applying work methods to emergency situations which arise when superior officers are not immediately available. Work requires dedication to public service, often made difficult by emotional or physical stress of events. Work is reviewed through conferences, written reports, inspections, and observations of results obtained. This position requires the incumbent to swear to and abide by the law enforcement oath of office as well as to adhere to the departmental standard operating procedures.Please Note: This position may be filled at the higher level depending on education and experience.This position requires the successful completion of a background check and credit check.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The Part Time Police Officer will:
- Patrol a designated area of the campus on foot or in a patrol vehicle to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations; answer calls and complaints involving fire, medical emergencies, traffic or other accidents, robberies and other misdemeanors and felonies, and takes necessary police action; makes arrests.
- Conduct investigations of criminal activities, consisting of the collection and identification of evidence, questioning principals and witnesses, case preparation, and testifying in court. Investigates traffic accidents and performs related traffic control functions for both vehicle and pedestrian safety.
- Perform dispatcher duties such as operating telephone and shortwave radios as well as performing related clerical tasks. This position requires fast, efficient, and accurate receiving, dispatching, and processing of calls and messages to and from patrol vehicles and personnel.
- Recover stolen property; provides various types of public service and assistance to students, faculty, staff, quests, and visitors on the university campus; provides money escorts.
- Conduct safety presentations and functions to the university community to promote the education of public safety.
- Perform other duties as assigned by superior officer.
- Must have knowledge of standard police practices and techniques; knowledge of the university properties, population, and traffic control concerns; ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine the proper course of action; ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, and tactfully but with respect for the rights of others; ability to react quickly and calmly under emergency conditions; ability to obtain information through interview, interrogation, and observation; ability to understand and execute difficult oral and written instructions; ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing, and to prepare comprehensive records and reports; ability to develop skills in the use and care of firearms.
- Ability to develop and maintain good public relations; ability to meet such specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority; skill in furnishing first aid and comfort in case of accidents, illness, and death situations.
- Must possess the exceptional moral character of a law enforcement officer.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Please Note: This position may be filled at a higher level depending on education and experience.
- Valid Georgia Class C Driver’s License; Georgia POST Law Enforcement Certification in good standing or ability to receive within one year of employment.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Information:Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.