Administrative Assistant, School of Public Safety
Serve as administrative assistant to a variety of faculty teams and/or the School of Public Safety’s management team within NTC’s Operating Principles.
Classification: Support, Full-time, full year (40 hrs/wk, 52 wks)
Typical schedule will be Monday – Friday, eight work hours per day with an unpaid lunch, as assigned by the supervisor. While these hours are typical, they may be subject to change as workload and needs of our customers and work areas change.
- Serve as receptionist to the area, which includes effective interaction with internal and external customers to answer questions, provide information and assistance, and respond to concerns in a pleasant and professional manner. In the absence of other team members, perform their duties as assigned.
- Initiate and maintain office workflow and record management compatible with the other departments within the institution. Maintain student files as required by outside agencies. Accurately operate and maintain all office equipment.
- Provide ongoing orientation of staff.
- Work with the institution’s computer system and software, maintain computer calendar, schedule meetings, prepare meeting agendas and materials, take minutes as requested, do word processing, prepare correspondence, etc. Prepare materials for and schedule job applicant interviews, do follow-up as needed and serve on interview team as requested.
- At the request of the management team, work with NTC’s budget system to print budget reports, write and process budget transfers and journal entries, enter purchase orders, coordinate travel arrangements, prepare payment authorizations and reimbursements, requisition supplies and materials and reconcile monthly credit card statements.
- Prepare class scheduling information and enter into NTC’s student information system.
- Prepare appropriate pay sheets for instructors, which include class pay, additional pay, overload, substitute, special assignment, etc.
- Work with faculty and management team to complete course, program, and instructor schedules. Enter instructor load information for teaching assignments.
- Support smooth operation of classes by working with instructors, scheduling office, IT personnel, help desk, student services and regional campus facilitators. Order books and materials as needed. Review and update management team on the status of enrollments.
- Assist in the completion of the registration process for students.
- Coordinate and report appropriate information as required to state agencies, assessment agencies, court systems and other outside entities.
- Design and distribute flyers as needed.
- Assist with planning, coordinating, and promoting special events and training such as tours, contests, seminars, etc.
- Maintain a current knowledge of organization procedures, policies, and practices.
- Identify confidential material and issues and exercise integrity in dealing with them.
- Monitor and assign work-study duties, when applicable.
- Participate in professional development activities, including workshops and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of two years’ post-secondary education appropriate to position responsibilities with at least four years’ related experience. Additional appropriate experience will be considered as an equivalent to two years’ post-secondary education. This position must demonstrate the ability to assume responsibility without direct supervision, exercise initiative and judgment and make decisions within the scope of authority. Must be detail-oriented and possess strong organization skills. Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in oral, written and electronic communication skills, including computer technologies such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with a minimum keyboard speed of 45 wpm.Physical Demands
6 to 8 hours: Performing repetitive movements, sitting and working indoors
4 to 5 hours: None
1 to 3 hours: Bending, grasping, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing and walking
Less than 1 hour: Balancing, climbing, crawling, driving, kneeling, twisting, working at heights, working in temperature extremes and working outdoors
Lifting and Carrying:
Less than 10 pounds: 1-10 repetition(s) per hour
10 to 20 pounds: 1-10 repetition(s) per hour
20-50 pounds: Less than 1 repetition per hour
50-100 pounds: Less than 1 repetition per hour
More than 100 pounds with help: Less than 1 repetition per hour
Additional Physical Requirements:
Vision: Adequate with aid to read instructions, labels, documents, computer screens, and differentiate between colors.
Hearing: Adequate with aid to understand oral requests, telephone conversation, and PA systems.
Required Employee Program Safety Training:
Emergency procedures, ergonomics (office/workplace) and slips, trips and falls.