Manager of Instructional Design and Technology
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
It’s an exciting time to be at the University of Massachusetts Medical School! U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UMass Medical School as one of the leading medical schools in the nation for primary care education. This opportunity gives an experienced and motivated candidate the chance to be part of an elite academic and research institution that is among the most affordable in the country. Join our technology team and become part of a dynamic group that provides solutions for diverse learners, faculty and staff. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong leadership and advanced skills in classroom technologies and instructional design.
Under the direction of the Associate CIO of Academic Technology, the Manager of Instructional Design and Technology will be responsible for all phases of instructional design and implementation. This position assumes an advocacy role on behalf of faculty, students and staff in campus matters related to teaching and learning with technology and to ensure that it aligns with the academic mission. The Manager of Instructional Design and Technology is responsible for research, design, implementation and assessment of instructional design activities and immersive-based learning that align with existing and new pedagogies, technology and delivery modes.Responsibilities
- Provides strategic leadership for academic initiatives; building academic roadmaps and delivering continuous improvement with the use of evidence-based metrics
- Manage the instructional technology team.
- Lead and engage in efforts for technology-based learning; working with students, faculty, staff and vendors on needs assessment, design and instructional strategies, learning styles and course design.
- Provide training and support for technology-based curriculum; assists and manage the development and maintenance of proper technical and user documentation for each system in a consistent and structured manner.
- Implement new and creative ways to deliver curriculum by identifying appropriate instructional technologies, supporting and advancing their use within the university.
- Provide training for faculty, students and staff in various modes of delivery, as appropriate, to achieve effective use of classroom and online technologies.
- Lead in performing technical services necessary to support the continuous delivery of service, including application enhancement, project tracking, development of software development utilities and application development procedures and the like.
- Participates in recruiting and staff performance reviews.
- Continue development of skills and expertise in present and emerging instructional technologies by participating in formal training when possible and by independent self-teaching and tutorials.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Technology, Educational Technology, related field, or equivalent experience
- 7 to 9 years of progressively responsible managerial/technical experience in Information Technology, Instructional Technology, Educational Technology or related fields
- 3-5 years working with faculty and students at a higher education institution
- Strong experience with on-premise, remote and hybrid classroom and on-line learning environments
- Understand the specific functions of the instructional facilities, and in consultation with the systems engineering and operations team, develop hardware and software solutions to support those functions
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in technology applications in teaching and learning, and in the management and leadership of academic technology services
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging technologies and instructional design methodologies and strategies
- Experience in integrating technologies for teaching and learning and enhanced outcomes for faculty, students and staff
- Demonstrated experience in advocating for the use of existing and new learning models to a diverse audience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
- Excellent skills in building collaborative and productive partnerships with higher ed faculty and students
- Experience developing and implementing engaging interactive online learning modules; transitioning to remote and online learning
- Strong experience of Learning Management Systems (i.e. Blackboard Learn, Canvas, etc.)
- Experience with student information systems and classroom technologies, including exam security, polling technologies, video platforms for capturing and storage
- Proficiency with Articulate and other e-learning tools
- Managing academic applications, including upgrades and vendor management
- Familiarity with the Agile framework is a plus
- Experience using and supporting accessible technologies; knowledge of online learning regulatory and compliance agency requirements including, ADA, Section 508 compliance, FERPA, and other applicable laws, rules, and regulations related to online learning
- Experience writing educational and IT grants