Posting DetailsJob TitlePolice DispatcherDepartmentRice University Police DepartmentFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21116Open Date10/05/2020Close Date10/26/2020Salary Information
$40,622.40 Annually at 40 hours per week / $19.53 HourlyWork Schedule
12-hour shifts: days, nights, weekends, holidaysBenefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The police dispatcher is charged with and responsible for the radio dispatching of police and emergency medical services (EMS) personnel and the telephone requirement of the department. Aside from the main goal of officer safety, the police dispatcher is the first contact point between the department and the community we serve. Any and all requests for assistance are routed through the Police Department’s Dispatch Office and all police dispatchers are tasked with the responsibility of assisting these people in a polite and timely fashion.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Some college courseworkExperience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Experience in customer service roleSubstitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Dispatch experience
- Experience in data entry and using computers
Telecommunications certification from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) must be acquired within one year from date of hireLicense/Certification Preferred
Basic telecommunications certification from TCOLESkills Required
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good speaking skills
- Must have a pleasant personality and cooperative attitude
- Must be able to handle heavy telephone and walk-in traffic
- Must be able to handle stressful or hostile environment due to nature of negative contacts generated by traffic, parking, police actions, etc.
- Basic computer and printing skills
Able to type 40 words per minute with no more than three errorsInternal / External Contacts
Internal: Frequent contact with university members which includes students, staff, and faculty
External: Contact with visitorsPhysical Demands
Requires working in front of a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidaysEssential Personnel
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24732Essential Functions
- Receives incoming telephone or alarm system calls regarding emergency and non-emergency police and fire service, emergency ambulance service, information, and after-hours calls for departments
- Questions callers to determine their locations, and the nature of their problems to determine type of response needed
- Records details of calls, dispatches, and messages
- Determines response requirements and relative priorities of situations, and dispatch units
- Enters, updates, and retrieves information from networks and computerized data systems regarding such things as wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, and stolen vehicles
- Maintains files of information relating to emergency calls
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have two or more years of experience in a customer service role?
- * Do you have a Telecommunications certification from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) or the ability to obtain one within one year from date of hire?
- * Do you have dispatch experience?