Payroll Analyst III
Position DetailsUNT System Overview
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. Over the past decade, combined UNTS enrollment has grown by more than 25 percent to nearly 44,000 students.Posting TitlePayroll Analyst IIIDepartmentSYS-Payroll-926150Job LocationDentonFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeSalary InformationCommensurate with ExperienceDepartment Summary
The UNT System Business Service Center (BSC) is home to several of the university system’s shared and central services, including the Controllership. The BSC service groups provide all accounting, reporting, purchasing and business-service focused operations for all of the University of North Texas System component institutions. Areas of responsibility for these shared and central services include Payroll, Financial Accounting & Reporting, Accounts Payable, and Procurement, among others. The University of North Texas System is comprised of: the University of North Texas (located in Denton), the University of North Texas Health Science Center (in Fort Worth), the University of North Texas at Dallas, and the University of North Texas System (downtown Dallas).
This position is located at the Business Service Center at Woodhill Square, just south of our flagship campus in Denton.Position Overview
Under the general direction of the Payroll Manager, performs payroll administration for all monthly, semimonthly, hourly, and supplemental payrolls for the four institutions (UNT, System, Dallas, & HSC); maintains employee pay records, preparation for payroll runs, and creates payroll reports; analyzes complex payroll and benefits issues/errors, proposes solutions to address customer needs; acts as a functional expert.Minimum Qualifications
Associate’s degree in accounting or a related field and four years of payroll experience or any combination of experience and educationKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, codes and regulations pertaining to processing of payroll
- Knowledge of federal wage and tax laws, and overtime requirements
- Skills in analyzing problems, situations, practices, or procedures to: identify and define a problem, formulate a solution, and prepare the necessary actions to follow through
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff members, departments, HR benefits, and outside agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and according to established schedules
- Strong skills in the use of Windows, Microsoft Word, & Excel software
- Ability to remain calm and courteous in the face of upset employees while dealing with their problems/concerns
- Knowledge of principles and procedures of general and governmental accounting as applicable to processing of payroll
- Working knowledge of University payroll processing
- Working knowledge of the State of Texas
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
Mon – Fri; 8 am to 5 pm; overtime as neededDriving University VehicleNoSecurity SensitiveThis is a security sensitive positionEEO Statement
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification TitlePayroll Analyst IIIPhysical RequirementsCarrying, Lifting up to 25 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Standing, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hear Job Duties o
Processes monthly, semi-monthly, hourly, and supplemental payroll in PeopleSoft North American Payrollo
Maintains employee pay data, records pay data changes from source documents and interprets University policies and procedures, and State and Federal regulations affecting payroll procedureso
Reports data; reviews and ensures accurate computation of pay, conducts appropriate audits to ensure data integrity and compliance, and coordinates with internal departments as appropriate to resolve discrepancieso
Responsible for auditing monthly and supplemental payroll reports, and resolutions of complex payroll issues to ensure that accurate data is reflected in the employee database and payments of salary and wages are made in an accurate and timely mannero
Provides customer service across the four institutions; analyzes and recommends solutions to address customer issues related to payrollo
Represents the organization by utilizing effective communication and customer service skills to serve customers and provide information and updates on changes and processes; provides helpful information and anticipates needs of organization to keep customers up to date and help them utilize the systemo
Analyze error reports for payroll calculation (monthly, semi-monthly, hourly, and supplemental)o
Conduct retroactive adjustments for salary/wages, deductions (general and or benefits) or overpaymentso
Process vacation lump sum paymentsPosting NumberS1158PPosition End Date (if temporary)Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuicklink for Postinghttp://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/39677Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter