Postdoctoral Research Scholar- Food Chemistry
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190270PDPosition Number00108092Position TypePost DocFLSAExemptDepartment ID111101 - Food,Bioprocess & Nutrition ScDepartment111101 - Food,Bioprocess & Nutrition ScJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPosition InformationEssential Job Duties
The Post Doctoral Researcher will focus on original research using various food processing and characterization techniques to design food structures for controlling digestion of food components and for improving texture of food matrices. The researcher will perform thermal, non-thermal, mechanical, and fractionation processes for the construction of innovative food structures. Analytical techniques involved in research projects from this lab include but not limited to bulk rheology, interfacial rheology, tribology, laser diffraction, dynamic light scattering, liquid chromatography, electrophoresis, X-ray diffraction, differential scanning calorimetry, thermogravimetric analysis, spectroscopic techniques (e.g. NIR, Raman, NMR), and microscopic techniques (e.g. CLSM, SEM, TEM, AFM). Moreover, this position is expected to carry out post-doc level research independently in food chemistry and related disciplines, be able to draft research manuscripts, train research students, maintain lab function and assist the faculty mentor with relevant administrative work. The postdoc will meet frequently with Dr. Haotian Zheng to discuss best practices in grant writing, manuscript preparation, and mentoring.Other Work/Responsibilities
General laboratory management including but not limited to instrument maintenance, ordering and management of supplies and work flows through the lab. Coordinates and/or conducts multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project. Assist in preparation technical reports, grant proposal, manuscripts and presentations including development of independent research objectives. Assist in the training and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students.Work ScheduleMonday- Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; additional hours as neededDepartment Required Skills
- PhD in Food Science, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a closely related field awarded no more than five (5) years from initial date of postdoctoral appointment.
- Scientific knowledge of food chemistry and hydrocolloid functionalities.
- Technical intimacy with characterizations of rheologcial and tribological properties of food materials.
- Procurement and management of laboratory supplies as well as responsible for EH&S and safety regulation compliance are required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with ability to develop manuscripts, and assist in preparation of grant proposals and presentations.
Exposure to both academic and industrial settings, experience carrying out research in a large lab with a proven track record in publication, and documented inter-institutional collaborations.
Working experience in liquid chromatography, membrane separation, supercritical fluid extraction, solvent extraction, statistical analysis of spectroscopy data, GI digestion models is desirable.Required License or Certification
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?NoCommercial Driver's License Required?NoRecruitmentAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experienceIf you anticipate multiple hires from this search, please indicate how manyJob Open Date10/05/2020Quick Linkhttp://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/136043AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will have by hire date) a Ph.D. in Food Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a closely related field?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References