Research Assistant - Crop and Soil Sciences
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190652EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleResearch Assistant - Crop and Soil SciencesAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperienceWork ScheduleMon. - Fri. 8am-5pmJob LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment About the Department
The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences encompasses diverse disciplines in research extension and teaching. The department’s mission is to develop future leaders in crop, soil and environmental sciences, improve crop plants and products, devise effective and sustainable crop production systems, devise effective and sustainable soil management techniques in both agriculture and urban settings; and disseminate crop, soil, and environmental science knowledge for the benefit of users and producers of food, feed turf, biofuels and fiber in North Carolina, the nation and the world.Essential Job Duties
The Research Assistant position with the Small Grain and Soybean Weed Science program will require an individual who independently supports, develops, and executes moderately complex research activities while supervising the activities of undergraduate and graduate students. The incumbent will also participate in formulating research methods, some on-farm and some at research stations, and suggest options for improving the quality of results and recommending solutions, contribute to publications, reports, and draft manuscripts, and may present results at extension or industry meetings and/or conferences. The incumbent should also be able to work independently to collect data and analyze research results and contribute to research program operations under the general guidance of the principal investigator.
The Research Assistant will work on the following research tasks:
- Investigating fecundity of weeds surviving glufosinate applications
- Sorghum Soybean crop rotation effect of weed and nematode populations
- Compare new sorghum grass technologies for grass control
- Utilizing UAVs and remote sensing to differentiate weed species and crops
- Comparing new soybean traits – herbicide efficacy and crop yield
- Weed management in Xtendflex soybean with various herbicide combinations
- Evaluating herbicide programs in Enlist soybeans
- Evaluating PRE herbicides for Palmer amaranth control
- Evaluating TJC04 efficacy and crop safety in North Carolina
- Cover Crop Effects on Resistant Weeds in Soybean
- Assessing soybean injury from dicamba drift
- The successful candidate will have to be able to independently drive a program truck with trailer, tractors, or combine.
- Manage student workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant Master’s degree.
- Understanding of statistical analysis.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to operate tractors and combines.
- Ability to do statistical analysis and summarize research results
- At least of one (1) year of experience providing technical help in a similar field (plant tissue culture, transformation, or molecular biology).
- Demonstrated experience in leadership.
- Previous background in plant tissue culture, molecular biology, and microbiology.
- Good writing, speaking, and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic collaborative team environment.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
- Valid NC Pesticide Applicator’s License or the ability to obtain one within 90 days of hire.
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.Position Number00108207Position TypeEHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Medical Emergencies, Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID110901 - Crop and Soil SciencesAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by the start date, a relevant Master's degree?
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- * Do you have a current, valid NC pesticide applicator's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References