ENERGY CONTROLS SPECIALIST (FMD)
ENERGY CONTROLS SPECIALIST (FMD)
As part of the Facilities Management Department, Facility Operations (FO) provides maintenance services to University buildings on the Duke University Campus. The Siemens Building Automation System (BAS) is a critical infrastructure system that monitors and controls University buildings on Campus. The Energy Controls Specialist will work as an integral part of the FO controls team to support the Siemens system and the transition from the Siemens Insight to Siemens Desigo platform. This position reports to the Maintenance Controls Engineer.
- Perform highly-skilled, technical support for the Siemens Building Automation system on Campus. Be an expert-level BAS user in analyzing heating, ventilation, air conditioning, hydronic, equipment and other automation systems through the user interface.
- Be able to interpret control logic diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, manufacturer’s specifications, and sequences of operation to analyze system performance and make recommendations for improvements.
- Lead QA/QC efforts for the transition from the Siemens Insight to Siemens Desigo transition. Review, check and track all work by contractor for proper operation.
- Review system alarms, analyze the system for proper operation and resolve issues and/or engage trades shops for resolution.
- Review control panel databases for accuracy and make recommendations for changes.
- Identify opportunities to improve control panel programming and make changes as approved.
- Work with FO staff to identify maintenance related issues.
- Review building graphics for consistency and create and modify new graphics as needed.
- Review controls submittals for Campus projects for accuracy and consistency.
- Support shop mechanics and provide controls training as needed.
- Identifies issues / improvements and work with the maintenance control engineer to provide information needed to correct operational deficiencies.
- Work with FMD staff and contractors in the project commissioning and turnover process as needed
- Analyze building systems and make recommendations for system operational improvements.
- Establish and maintain a professional and consistent positive work environment.
- Respond to afterhours emergencies as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Education, Training & Experience: Work requires and educational background equivalent to a high school education Prefer ten (10) years directly related experience with electronic control systems. Experience with Siemens Apogee and Desigo Building Control Systems a plus. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences, including management, faculty, trade employees, supervisors, staff from other departments, students, and others. Knowledge with Siemens Building Technologies Insight Apogee and Desigo systems or equivalent High level of organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning skills. Computer literate. Knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Familiar with Infor EAM or similar Computerized Maintenance Management System. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.