FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for a Skilled Trades Technician - Carpenter position in the Department of Facilities and Plant Operations.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
JOB SUMMARY:This position will perform skilled carpentry work in the construction, maintenance, repair, and alteration of building structures and facilities. May be required to perform other general maintenance tasks. The ideal candidate should have experience in the construction, repair and renovation of floors, roofs, ceilings, stairways, partitions, doors, windows, and screens.
- Uses hand and power tools such as saws, hammers, chisels, levels, drills, sanders, table saws, joiners, planers, and mortising machines to repair doors, windows, window frames, floors, walls, ceilings, partitions, and office furniture; to install drywall or finished hardware such as door locks, hinges, door checks; to install floor coverings.
- Hangs sheetrock and doors, installs hardware, ceiling grids, tile, tile floors, and base mold; finish and trim.
- Assemble or repair furniture, bulletin boards shelving.
- Performs general maintenance task in plumbing, electrical, and painting.
- Perform rough and finish carpentry projects.
- High School diploma and four years of experience; or a combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability to meet or exceed the University's attendance and punctuality standards.
- Must possess knowledge of carpentry procedures and equipment and basic knowledge of other skilled trades.
- Bachelor's degree and two years of experience in related field.
- Certified and/or licensed in a skilled trades field.
- Working outdoors and in enclosed areas is required.
- Working in extreme heat or cold conditions on occasion.
- Some evening, night and weekend work as needed.
- Ability to push and lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder.
- Bending at waist, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as job may be required.
- Ability to work in extreme heat, cold and noisy areas.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact FVSU's Office of Human Resources at [email protected] or (478)825-6301.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com