OPS Animal Care Technician I - Cage Wash
Job no: 514781
Work type: Temp Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:11800000 - RE-ANIMAL CARE SERVICES
OPS Time LimitedJob Description:
- Responsible for carrying out the Animal Care Services' (ACS) directives and SOPs as governed by the Animal Welfare Act and all applicable rules and regulations. Will be assigned to cage wash operations and will perform routine duties associated with cage sanitation and preparation for reuse in a research setting, including cage maintenance, monitoring equipment for proper functioning and maintaining sanitary conditions. Operates washers and ensures that cage washing and related equipment are in proper working order with cleaning and preventative maintenance. Will perform routine start-up and shut down procedures of cage wash operations. Operates autoclave to sterilize or decontaminate caging equipment. Will sanitize cage washing rooms and other support areas, such as hallways and storage rooms. May provide guidance, instruction and direction to cage wash trainees following directives provided by facility supervisor/manager.
- Performs daily observation of the Edstrom watering system and documents daily water parameters. Ensures proper levels of chemicals/water in treatment tanks as required. Will assist in receiving and rotating feed and supplies. Receive and disconnect gas tanks (i.e. CO2 and 02). Process equipment exposed to hazards following strict guidelines for decontamination. Ensure potentially hazardous soiled bedding and water are processed correctly to the proper waste stream.
- Sanitizes equipment and animal support facilities (storage rooms and hallways); collects Biological Indicators from machinery and delivers samples for assessment of sanitizing efficacy to our Clinical Diagnostic Lab. Transports caging supplies between animal rooms and cage washrooms.
- Ensures trash and disposable items are discarded in the appropriate waste stream, that is dictated by UF Environmental Health & Safety or ACS SOP's.
- Required to keep up to date on SOP's in Policy Manager and input their time worked facility computers or assigned equipment during normal working hours. Ensure that leave Request, OT, weekend requests are submitted timely to area supervisor/manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent.Preferred Qualifications:
Prefer HS degree or higher with at least 3 years’ experience with research animal care at a research institution or other appropriate environment. Strongly prefer AALAS LAT certification.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Work hours are Monday - Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, with rotating weekends every four weeks.
In order to be considered, applicants must provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Upon offer of the position, proof of education as outlined in the minimum requirements must be submitted.
A criminal background check is required.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 15 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 02 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time