Surgical Oncology Veterinary Technician I/II (CARE)
Job no: 514783
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28311101 - VM-SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
Surgical Oncology Veterinary Technician I/II (CARE)Job Description:
The AAHA accredited Oncology service sees over 3,500 patients annually, offering a state of the art level of care through medical intervention, surgical expertise, and radiation therapy. Highlights of this service include personalized chemotherapy protocols, advanced radiation therapy treatments with our linear accelerator, and progressive treatment options such as melanoma vaccines.
The Small Animal Hospital is seeking a technician who is passionate about the opportunities a specialty oncology service can provide in prolonging the lives of their patients while extending compassion and empathy to their patients and loved ones. Technicians provide support and assistance to the Oncology service by assisting veterinarians with exams and treatments, as well as providing insight, instruction, and demonstration to veterinary students. In particular, this position will assist the Surgical Oncology service.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- is self-motivated
- maintains a positive attitude at work
- maintains an effective working relationship with clinicians, coworkers, students, and clients
- is expected to communicate effectively, demonstrate critical thinking, and professionalism
- has the desire to learn and develop their skills and capabilities
- is proficient in phlebotomy and IV catheter placement among a variety of other skills
- must provide exemplary patient care
Typical schedule will be Monday - Friday. Schedule may change due to covering other shifts. May require working earlier than 7:30am or later than 6pm.
This position is considered essential personnel and will be a part of the emergency response team
This position requires a background check and health assessmentAdvertised Salary:
Starting salary is $15.00 - $18.00 per hour, commensurate with experienceMinimum Requirements:
Veterinary Technician I
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of veterinary experience or one year of veterinary experience and currently enrolled in a veterinary technician program or a graduate of a veterinary technician program.
Veterinary Technician II
Credentialed veterinary technician and four years of veterinary experience.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Credentialed veterinary technician
2. Knowledge of animal care and nursing
2. Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and terminology.
3. Knowledge of the equipment and materials used and their availability and applications
4. Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations
5. Ability to effectively communicate with employees of various levels and responsibilities
If order to be considered for this position, you must upload the following:
- Cover letter
- List of References
- Other Document containing answers to the following supplemental questions:
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.Health Assessment Required:Yes; Must be able to lift fifty pounds, bend, kneel, pull, push and stand for extended periods of time.
Advertised: 05 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 12 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time