Adjunct Instructor - History (On-Ground)
- Maryville University
- St. Louis, MO
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Ethnic & Cultural Studies, History & Classics
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 492437
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: College of Arts & Sciences, Adjunct
Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their fields. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community and teach courses on campus.
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an academically qualified adjunct faculty member to teach on campus. The History department is seeking applicants in any field of history, not limited to but including:
• World History to and from 1500
• American History to and from 1877
• Women and Gender Studies
• LGBTQ+ History
• African History
• Europe and the Atlantic World
• East Asia
• African American History
• Latin American History
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach the course for the College of Arts and Sciences
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, and assignments. Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner (with 24-36 hrs.).
• Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in History or related field from a regionally accredited institution
• PhD in History or related field
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: October 02, 2020
Applications close: Open until filled
Maryville University is a selective, comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with nearly 6,000 students. We offer over 75 degrees at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral levels to students from 50 states and 32 countries. Consistently ranked as a top private school by Forbes and Kiplinger's, Maryville has been named the Number 1 Over-performing University in the nation by US News and World Report for the past two years. Maryville's athletics teams compete in 18 men's and women's sports at the Division II level in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. Founded in 1872, the University is ideally situated on 130 picturesque acres in west St. Louis County.
Across the wide spectrum of academic programs offered at Maryville University, you'll discover enthusiastic professors with impressive academic credentials and professional experience in their fields. From their extensive knowledge base and active learning approach, you'll gain real-world perspective and the kind of confidence that comes with being well-prepared to begin your first professional job in your chosen career.
On the Maryville campus, academic, administrative and housing buildings span 130-acres of beautiful wooded and landscaped scenery. Maryville has constructed 10 new campus buildings since 1998. They include the Anheuser-Busch Academic Center, Art & Design Building, University Auditorium, Donius University Center, state-of-the-art health professions facility Myrtle E. and Earl E. Walker Hall and five student apartment buildings.
Maryville is proud of its teaching and mentoring excellence. As we focus on giving you a solid liberal arts foundation, we are guided by a well-established statement of mission, vision and core values.
For the past 11 years, Maryville has presented the St. Louis Speaker Series at Powell Symphony Hall, featuring Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Peace Prize winners, world leaders, statesmen, distinguished journalists, authors and other celebrated personalities who have enlightened, inspired and entertained our audiences.
Located only 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis and right next door to St. Luke's Hospital and Maryville Centre corporate complex, you'll benefit from a wide variety of internship opportunities. In addition, our centers for advising and career planning will help you succeed every step of the way, both as a Maryville student and as a graduate. These include:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Computing
- Academic Success Center
- Career Education
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert