Specimen Management Technician, Day Shift
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-02
Responsible for receiving and processing requests and specimens for Laboratory analysis entering requests into Laboratory computer system transporting of specimens and using problem solving skills.
- Enters written and receives electronic orders for Laboratory requests into Laboratory Computer System Ensures all specimens received meet specimen acceptance criteria.
- Operates Pneumatic Tube System (PTS)
- Investigates documents and resolves problems or complaints
- Processes Laboratory specimens.
- Serves as trainer and role model for new Specimen Management Technicians and health care professional students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of quality safety and compliance programs.
- Performs area-specific support activities.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent
Experience: No experience required
Licensure: None required
Job requires sitting, standing for prolonged periods, frequently walking, and reaching (overhead, extensive, repetitive); Repetitive motion: computer data entry. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50lbs. May be exposed to fumes, chemicals, heat, cold, noise, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.