Donor Services Specialist
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190728SPInternal RecruitmentNoWorking TitleDonor Services SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range$45,000-$53,000Work ScheduleMonday- Friday ; 8:00 am-5:00 pm and other hours as needed to fulfill the duties of this position.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartmentAdvancement ServicesAbout the Department
North Carolina State University (NC State) was founded in 1887 with the purpose of creating economic, societal, and intellectual prosperity for the people of North Carolina. Today it is the largest university in North Carolina with more than 34,000 high-performing students, 8,000 pre-eminent faculty and staff and 205,000 alumni. NC State is known for its leadership in research, education, and service and as a research extensive university, is recognized for its strengths in science, engineering, and technology. The University consistently ranks among the top public national universities and one of the best values in higher education.
The mission of University Advancement is to secure support for NC State University in terms of dollars, service, and engagement by delivering an integrated program of development, alumni relations, communications and marketing, and advancement services. The objective is to build deep and long-term relationships with alumni and other stakeholders and partners that will ensure increased support to NC State in the future.
Advancement Services supports the operations of Alumni Relations, University Development & University Communications. The unit oversees the university’s alumni & donor database, Advance™, Advance BI systems, processing gifts and conducting research about potential contribution opportunities. Advancement Services also maintains financial records, conducts donor research, receipts corporate & individual private gifts following the NC State Standard Operating Procedures for Acceptance of Gifts, administers the corporate matching gifts program, updates & verifies alumni records, manages donor prospect tracking systems, plans and manages gift agreements & endowment reports, manages the university’s naming opportunities process.
The Office of Donor Services is a central resource that fosters a collaborative relationship with our campus partners by assisting in creating, reviewing and approving gift agreements between donors and university-affiliated foundations, many of which support NC State’s $1+ billion endowment. In addition, Donor Services produces nearly 3,000 endowment reports for donors annually. This office also manages the gift minimum recommendation level for rooms/spaces and the approval process for donor-funded naming opportunities, as well as, the Distinguished Professorship program for University Advancement.
The Donor Services Specialist is a position in the Office of Donor Services within the Department of Advancement Services. The Donor Services Specialist’s main function will be to assist development officers with creating and reviewing gift agreements and conducting fund audits to ensure gift agreements are being executed as written and comply with current legal and regulation standards and meet the donor’s intent. The Office of Donor Services is looking for an individual who desires an innovative and fast paced environment. This position will be responsible for the following:
Draft, review and approve gift agreements, amendments and superseding agreements for the distinguished professorship program and liaise between the Provost Office, the Chancellor Office and Vice Chancellor of University Advancement.
- Coordinate donor-funded professorship information within the database.
- Coordinate the approval process of corporate, foundation and non-standard gift agreements.
- Provide assistance in reviewing gifts or gift agreements for compliance with IRS regulations, CASE standards, University policies, best practices, and Advancement operational guidelines.
- Manage documentation for donor-funded professorships and corporate, foundation and non-standard gift agreements.
- Conduct periodic audits of named funds to ensure that the funds have been moved to appropriate accounts, the agreement aligns with current regulations, signatures have been obtained with all approved agreements and gift funds are being spent as directed by the fund purpose within the gift agreement.
- Assist in mailing annual endowment reports, which includes maintaining stewardship data in the database.
- Provide customer service to both internal customers and donors to enhance the giving experience.
- Provide support in researching gift agreement and endowment history.
- Other job duties or projects as assigned
Miscellaneous special projects as assigned by supervisor.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications
- Ability to work independently but able to collaborate closely with the team and external partners
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent in attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent in tracking tasks
- Proficiency in Excel
- Proficiency with Microsoft Applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn new software
- Experience working with confidential information
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency in basic mathematical skills
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills
- One year of experience in one of the following: Advancement Services, Donor Relations, Donor Services, Gift Compliance, Contract
- Writing, Finance, Auditing, Scholarship and Financial Aid, Contract Writing, Fundraising, or related field preferably in large/complex organizations such as higher education, foundation, health care systems, or non-profit
- Proficient in software such as: Microsoft Visio, OnBase, Ellucian Advance, Excel and DocuSign
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Higher education fundraising experience
- Contract or agreement writing experience
- Finance, auditing and/or mathematics experience
- Database system experience
- Knowledgeable in gift regulation standards concerning IRS regulations, CASE standards, University policies, best practices, and Advancement operational guidelines
N/AValid NC Driver's License requiredNoCommercial Driver's License Required?NoJob Open Date09/29/2020Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)10/06/2020Notice to ApplicantsSpecial Instructions
Please include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.Position Number00108200Position TypeSHRAPosition Classification Band TitlePublic Communication SpecialistPosition Classification Band LevelJourneyPosition Classification Salary Range$31,200 - $83,965Salary Grade Equivalency69Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.0Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited PositionNoTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable)Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment Id085001 - Advancement ServicesAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have in Advancement Services, Donor Relations, Donor Services, Gift Compliance, Communications, Information Technology, Information Systems, Research, Reporting, Project Management, Fundraising, or related field preferably in large/complex organizations such as higher education, foundations, health care systems, or non-profit?
- No experience
- 0-1 year
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5-7 years
- 7-10 years
- 10+ years
- * Please describe your interest in the position and what relevant skills related to this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References