Research Assistant - PTL
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190617EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleResearch Assistant - PTLAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperienceWork ScheduleMon. - Fri. 8am-5pmJob LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment Horticultural ScienceAbout the Department
Since 1901, the faculty, staff and students of the Department of Horticultural Science have been providing innovative teaching, research, and outreach to the citizens of North Carolina, the nation, and the world. Our research and extension programs are recognized worldwide for their contributions to applied horticultural production and to discovery science. We generate and extend knowledge about fruits, vegetables, ornamental plants, and landscape design for the purpose of increasing food security and food safety, sustaining the environment, enhancing economic vitality, and improving the quality of life for individuals and their communities.Essential Job Duties
The Plant Transformation Laboratory (PTL) at the Department of Horticultural Sciences is seeking a full-time Research Assistant. The successful candidate will work directly under supervision of Dr. Kedong Da, director of PTL, and is expected to take leadership in defined areas of plant tissue culture and transformation. Following tasks are expected in this position: (1) Carry out research experiments designed by PI; (2) Collect data, summarize data, and present the data at weekly meetings with PI; (3) Assist and take leadership in Extension related tasks; (4)Work collaboratively with other working groups, graduate students and postdocs.Other Responsibilities
The successful candidate will have to be able to independently drive a car to research field trials across the state of NC.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education
- Master’s Degree in Horticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, or a related field, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, or a related field and three (3) or more years of relevant experience or relevant independent experience and education.
- Plant tissue culture transformation experience.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and execute both, laboratory and greenhouse-based experiments.
- Ability to work independently.
- Sterile technique and attention to detail.
- At least of one (1) year of experience providing technical help in a similar field (plant tissue culture, transformation, or molecular biology).
- Demonstrated experience in leadership.
- Previous background in plant tissue culture, molecular biology, and microbiology.
- Good writing, speaking, and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic collaborative team environment.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.Position Number00108162Position TypeEHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID111501 - Horticultural ScienceAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have, or will you have by the start date, a Master's Degree in Horticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, or a related field, or a Bachelor's Degree in Horticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, or a related field, and three (3) or more years of relevant experience or relevant independent experience and education?
- Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References