Please view posting details below. To apply to this posting, please click the link above.Job TitleSergeant PolicePosting NumberF003731Position StatusFull TimeAssignment Length This field only applies to FacultyGrant FundedNoCategoryPolice OperationsClass Code72Pay Rate$23.70LocationNortheastDepartmentDT Police DepartmentJob Summary
Performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related law enforcement activities.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Trains officers on the policies and procedures specific to a department or campus
• Assists officers in selecting and requesting training courses
• Performs security patrols, traffic control, investigations, administers first aid as needed and arrests persons involved in crimes or misconduct
• Works an assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action being expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance
• Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent
• Patrols College streets and College areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations’ and to otherwise serve and protect
• Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc.
• Interrogates suspects, witnesses and drivers. Preserves evidence
• Arrests violators. Investigates and renders assistance at scene of vehicular accidents. Summons ambulances and other emergency vehicles. Takes measurements and draws diagrams of crime
• Conducts follow up investigations of crimes committed during assigned shift. Seeks out and questions victim, witnesses and suspects. Develops leads and tips Searches scene of crimes for clues
• Analyzes and evaluates evidence and arrests offenders
• Prepares cases for giving testimony and testifies in court proceedings
• Prepares a variety of records including incident/offense reports, daily activity log, criminal, information and accident investigation reports; vehicle impoundment forms and hazard reports
• Conducts field sobriety tests and contacts municipal police agencies who have concurrent jurisdiction with other agency for filing of charges and transfer of custody of DWI suspects
• Undertakes community oriented police work, and assists citizens with such matters as locked or stalled vehicles, crime prevention, drug abuse resistance education (DARE), traffic safety, etc.
• Participates in investigating criminal law violations occurring within the City limits, obtaining evidences and compiling information regarding these crimes, preparing cases for filing of charges, testifying in court, and related activities
• Conducts patrol activities including directing traffic, investigation of reported or observed violations of law, and conducting patrol activities
• Coordinates activities with supervisors or other college departments as needed, exchanges information with officers in other law enforcement agencies, and obtains advice from the college administration regarding cases, policies and procedures, as needed and assigned
• Maintains contact with police supervisory personnel to coordinate investigation activities, provide mutual assistance during emergency situations and provides general information about department activities
• Maintains departmental equipment, supplies, facilities, firearms and vehicles
• Maintains contact with general public, court officials, and other college officials in the performance of police operating activities
• Creates and review reports.
• Serves as a member of various employee committees
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite
• Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored through Tarrant County College (TCC)
• Supports the values of the College: diversity, teaching excellence, student success, innovation and creativity and service to the College
• Supports the mission, values and 3 goals and 8 principles of the College
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.Required Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
• High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
• Supplemented by a two (2) year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Must be at least 21 years old
• United States citizen
• Ability to speak, read, and write the English language
• Valid Texas driver’s license without record of suspension or revocation in any state
• Must pass State Certification Exam
• Must have successfully completed TCLEOSE/TCOLE certified police academy
Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal histories are not allowed. Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits and must meet the standards for police officers as established by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education.Desired Education, Experience, Certifications, LicensuresKnowledge, Skills and AbilityAccommodations
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.Special Instructions SummaryPosted10/02/2020ContactAsst. Chief C. Dietrich*[email protected] DocumentsRequired Documents
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Certification / License
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the highest level of education you have completed.
- High School Diploma / GED
- 60 or more College Credit Hours
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctorate Degree
- None of the above
- * Do you have a two (2) year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field?
- * Have you successfully completed a TCOLE certified police academy?
- * Please list any certification or licensure you have that is directly related to this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you at least 21 years old and a United States citizen?
- * Do you currently possess, or are you able to obtain by time of hire, a valid TX Driver's License without record of suspension or revocation in any state?
- * How many years of experience do you have directly related to this position?
- Less than 1 year experience
- 1 year of experience
- 2 years of experience
- 3 years of experience
- 4 years of experience
- 5 or more years of experience
- * How would you rate your level of experience using word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)?
- * How would you rate your experience with web-based software?
- * Describe your experience as it relates to this position.
(Open Ended Question)