Graduate Student Assistant – Research Assistant (UNTD College of Law)
Position DetailsUNT System Overview
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. Over the past decade, combined UNTS enrollment has grown by more than 25 percent to nearly 44,000 students.Posting TitleGraduate Student Assistant – Research Assistant (UNTD College of Law)DepartmentDAL-CoL-Academic Affairs-517200Job LocationDowntown DallasFull Time/Part TimePart-TimePay Rate$12.00 per hourSalary Information$12.00 per hourDepartment Summary
The Graduate Student Assistant – Research Assistant (UNTD College of Law) will complete complex assignments which enhance the objectives of the law faculty and the law school overall. Work includes use of specialized skills received as a result of successfully completing the first year Legal Writing and Research courses. The Graduate Student Assistant – Research Assistant will conduct independent legal research on behalf of law school faculty and other tasks related to legal information as needed by law librarians. Work may require extensive interaction with law faculty. Supervision is provided by law faculty or law librarians.Position Summary
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Have working knowledge of, and ability to conduct in-depth legal research using legal electronic databases, library print collection and classified internet resources.
• Conduct literature reviews from using legal and non-legal databases.
• Complete checking and bluebooking assignments for faculty publications
• Conduct surveys of areas of law through in-depth case law and statutory research
• Update current finding tools and other on-going faculty projects
• Assists law librarians with special projects.
• Assist in training library assistant student workers in use of electronic resources.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community through outreach and collaboration.
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Posting Details
Currently enrolled UNT Dallas, UNT Dallas College of Law, HSC or UNT student in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward completion graduate degree program. Applicants must possess the following:
- Excellent customer service skills, as well as effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks independently.
- Proficiency to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data, and to prepare reports from such records.
- Good interpersonal skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Responsible, reliable and punctual.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work of others.
- Considerable knowledge of academic requirements and policies, or of administrative procedures relative to the area of employment.
Based on academic scheduleDriving University VehicleNoSecurity SensitiveThis is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Physical RequirementsCarrying, Lifting up to 10 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or HearPosting NumberStu078HPPosition End Date (if temporary)Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuicklink for Postinghttp://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/39579Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Are you currently enrolled as a College of Law student in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward completion of a J.D. degree program?
- Cover Letter
- Class Schedule (Student)
- Letter of Recommendation