Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Perform varied clerical duties in support of general and special office activities to relieve supervisor of clerical and routine responsibilities and to maintain an efficient and effective operation.
- A detailed list of job responsibilities is below (as Department needs increase, duties may increase):
- Serve as back-up for the Departmental Charge Capture Reconciliation and Workque process and assist with cross coverage of tasks a needed of the Administrative Clerks.
- Develop presentation materials for monthly and weekly department meetings, as needed.
- Responds to requests for information and triage inquires for Directors, Leadership and Clinicians by phone, email or in person.
- Conference room reservations
- Maintain Department time off Outlook calendar (backup).
- Coordinate and complete special projects.
- Supply orders through Staples
- Meet with and assist new hires with badge, parking and other requests.
- E & O and Material service requests.
- Maintain ALL STAFF list and update Org Chart
- Update and maintain department F.U.N (frequently used numbers) badges
- Send out weekly safety training reports and monitor compliance
- Assist with time off requests, patient confirmation calls and scheduling appointments when requested
- Answer phones, take messages as needed and greet guests in front office.
- Submit badge access requests
- Mail run – every other week (share responsibility with other Administrative Clerk).
- Unpack incoming packages, advise requester item received and put away in correct location or send to location via mail run and update supply logs.
- PTOU (Paid Time Off Unscheduled) reports for Audiology staff, Speech Pathology (backup).
- Complete orientation for new externs
- Send out new staff introductions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Customer Service
- Telephone Protocol
- Office Procedures
- Typing speed of 20-30 corrected words per minute may be required
- Microsoft Windows and Office suite
- Maestro Care experience
EducationWork requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally equivalent to a high school education.
ExperienceWork generally requires three months of clerical or general office support experience to become familiar with activities involved with providing routine clerical support.
Degrees, Licensures, CertificationsN/A
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.