Mirken Family Postbaccalaureate Fellowship in Museum Practice
Job location: Colby College
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-02
Job DescriptionDepartment:Museum Business Operations and EngagementPay Rate Type:HourlyEmployee Type:Job Summary:The Mirken Family Postbaccalaureate Fellowship in Museum Practice at the Colby College Museum of Art will support a one-year appointment to the Museum, with the possibility of a renewable second year. The position offers broad exposure to work across all areas of the Museum, with particular emphasis on communications, exhibitions and publications, and collections. The Mirken Fellow reports to the Communications Manager and the Manager of Exhibitions and Publications and works with all departments including communications, administration, advancement, collections, curatorial and engagement.
Founded in 1959, the Colby College Museum of Art comprises five wings, more than 10,000 works of art, and more than 38,000 square feet of exhibition space, the largest in the state of Maine. A 2017 gift by Peter and Paula Lunder has added more than 1,100 artworks to the collection by artists from Albrecht Dürer to Julie Mehretu. Works in the collection strengthen the Museum’s mission to offer Colby students new perspectives on their classroom studies and expand their understanding of diverse subjects through art. The gift has also established the Lunder Institute for American Art to advance critical and creative research in American art and related fields. The Lunder Institute is integrated into the academic mission of the College and the Museum and creates unique opportunities for multi-disciplinary scholarship, creative work, and mentorship among visiting scholars, artists, faculty, and students.
A major focus of the Lunder Institute is to make connections between American and global art, inspiring a dialogue between places and cultures and making the Museum an internationally recognized destination for the collection, study, and exhibition of American art. The Colby Museum is also deeply committed to strengthening diversity and inclusion across all strategic and programmatic areas of the Museum to include a multiplicity of perspectives and backgrounds represented on our staff and Board of Governors, outreach to diverse audiences, inclusive and diverse exhibitions and programs, and a broad-based, expansive collection. The Museum seeks to further strengthen its identity as a preeminent academic museum through national and international partnerships and through world-class exhibitions. In addition, the Museum serves as a key contributor to the revitalization of downtown Waterville through its membership in Waterville Creates! and its active participation in the programmatic initiatives of Colby College.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist communications manager in executing the Museum’s digital marketing, including website and web content, e-newsletters, digital and print publicity, and social media
- Update and maintain the centralized photography archive of Museum images; maintain digital and print archives of Museum advertising, collaterals, and earned media
- Research and facilitate artwork image rights and reproduction requests
- Assist with distribution of marketing assets, including approved copy and high-res images, to approved parties
- Working with Department of Art faculty leads, prepare and schedule travel and logistics of Department of Art annual Mirken field trip for student professional development in the museum field
- Assist manager of exhibitions and publications with logistics for exhibition installations
- Provide support for internal exhibitions website, including content management and updates
- Assist with exhibition catalogue proposals, correspondence with publishers, designers and editors, and production and distribution of publication projects
- With communications manager and manager of registration and collections, monitor photography and videography in Museum galleries to ensure the safety and integrity of the objects on view
- Assist as needed with museum collection research and inquiries and other related collection team initiatives
- Help with scheduling of contractors (audio-visual engineers, photographers, graphic designers, etc.) as needed
- Attend and support Museum special projects and events, including occasional night and weekend events as needed
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Relevant coursework in Art/Art History preferred
- Highly organized, flexible, and comfortable with diverse audiences
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong ability to effectively collaborate with professional staff, students, and faculty
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop and/or InDesign) and WordPress preferred
- Familiarity with collections database, such as TMS or Embark, preferred
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
Reporting to the communications manager and the Barbara Alfond manager of exhibitions and publications, the fellow also works closely with the manager of collections and registration and deputy director, and has ongoing interactions with all Museum teams as well as Colby faculty, students, staff, alumni, and Museum guests.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Occasional lifting is required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Some night and weekend work required based on Museum events.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby Careers website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Mirken Family Postbaccalaureate Fellow in Museum Practice - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855