Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions
Department:: Graduate School
Locations:: Binghamton, NY
Posted:: Sep 15, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 07078
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant (SL-3)
Graduate Admissions (40%)
- Lead the application quality review process. Coordinate timely application review with the Admissions Assistant, train GA's and coordinate additional support for quality review during peak application processing season
- Review final, official transcripts from incoming graduate students, exercising judgment and decision making in applying policy to special or unique admissions cases; remove student accounts holds as appropriate
- Supervise Graduate Assistants staffing the front desk to ensure that the highest quality of services are provided. Hire new front desk student staff as necessary
- Resolve service or procedural problems by evaluating effectiveness of current processes, identifying the best alternative and training staff accordingly
- Provide coverage, back up and support for the front desk as needed
- Support admissions operations by ensuring process accuracy and exploring opportunities for increased efficiency
Graduate Student Services (40%)
- Manage communications and the application process for fellowships, scholarships and awards maintained by the Graduate School
- Serve as liaison for all funding related matters between the Graduate School and campus constituents (departments, Research Foundation and Binghamton Foundation)
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of a yearly New Graduate Student Welcome Reception
- Provide support for the New Graduate Student Orientation and the Graduate Student Excellence Awards ceremony, including pre-event planning, day-of logistics, and post-even report/recommendations
- Manage the Graduate School's student-focused communications, including digital signage (BrightSign), social media (Facebook page), and website news listings
- Coordinate multiple bus services from JFK airport to Binghamton University in the fall and spring semesters
- Respond to inquiries relating to funding and awards
Slate Support (20%)
- Provide general support for Slate usage, maintenance and implementation of new features
- Participate in application quality review processing during peak admission times and serve as a backup for admission decision release process as needed
- Attend regularly scheduled marketing meetings hosted by Communications and Marketing
- Provide support to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and academic units for recruitment and admissions initiatives in Slate, such as building events, communications and queries
- Clean and upload prospective student data into Slate
- Master's degree
- At least 3 years' experience working in a professional setting
- Experience with Technolutions Slate
- Experience with Ellucian (SunGard) Banner or similar Student Information System
- Experience advising, counseling or otherwise working with current or prospective graduate students
- Experience working with international students
- Supervisory experience
- Experience coordinating the logistics of large scale events
- Be able and willing to work non-standard/varied work hours and must have a valid/clean driver's license to operate a motor vehicle
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website http://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: October 16, 2020
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.