Asst Director Financial Aid
Asst Director Financial Aid
Aid & Literacy Operations
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Process financial aid applications for all entering and renewal applicants; determine eligibility for financial aid; assist in administrating federal, state and institutional aid to students and families; oversee and manage the OPM (online program management) for the online graduate and business schools; maintain communications with other departments on and off campus; participate in professional organizations and financial literacy programming on and off campus, and counsel students and families.
- Advise students and parents as well as on/off campus constituencies about financial aid opportunities, procedures, college policies and eligibility requirements for aid. Must have the ability to interact with students and parents calmly and graciously under difficult situations and be capable of explaining complex and confusing regulations to students and parents.
- Administer the Federal Pell Grant Program which includes determining eligibility, processing, and submitting corrections of student records and payment of funds to the Federal Department of Education through Banner and the ED communication software. Send origination & disbursement reports to COD and complete reconciliation of funds.
- Manage and administer state financial aid programs which include determining eligibility, awarding funds, reconciling accounts at the end of the fiscal year and establishing and maintaining procedures as it relates to each state financial aid program.
- Manage and oversee the awarding of all prospective OPM graduate students throughout the year, including collaboration with Graduate Admissions Office on financial aid awards.
- Manage and oversee the awarding of all prospective & current ROTC students throughout the academic year including collaboration with Admissions Office on financial aid awards.
- Present information to small and large groups of students and parents on the financial aid process at various on and off campus events.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Office of Student Aid & Financial Literacy as well as other departments on campus in identifying and running financial literacy education sessions on campus for WPI students and community members. This includes but is not limited to reaching out to community members to present sessions, advertise and promote sessions, working with student leaders on campus to offer programing to students that is purposeful and strategic in nature to the wants and needs our students and the community.
- Analyze, evaluate and verify confidential information on students' application materials for the purpose of determining levels and sources of assistance. Base decisions upon WPI, federal, and state policies governing aid distribution.
- Collaborate with Admissions Office on financial aid awards to freshmen and transfer students.
- Interaction with Bursar's Office, students and parents to assist in reconciling students' charges and credits.
- Collaborate with other directors in office in preparing informational literature indicating sources of aid, application dates, procedures, and policies of the institution.
- Process aid adjustments for non-returnees, reduced course loads and students with enrollment changes throughout the academic year.
- Assist office with taking on additional work on a temporary basis during times of staff shortages.
- Assist office with search process for new staff hires (i.e. applicant review, interviews, and evaluation of candidates).
- Assist office with training with new team member hires.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Excellent communication and time management skills. Experience preferred but not required: management of student federal aid programs and familiarity with financial aid computer software systems preferably SCT Banner System.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience is strongly preferred. Management of student assistance awards and familiarity with financial aid computer software systems preferably PowerFAIDs and COD.
- A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
- Possess a comfort level with software applications and ability to quickly adapt to new technologies
- Possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively and positively with a diverse population both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Exhibits ability and willingness to contribute to an enthusiastic, positive work environment
- Physical requirements are within the normal range of an office environment, but may include occasional lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling up to 10 pounds.
- Must be able and willing to work overtime during peak times, especially during file review periods.
- Willing to work at WPI events during non-business hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Hours of work: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Position is an exempt staff position which requires a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- This position has an expected starting salary range in the mid $40,00s per year.
- Sense of humor
- Positive attitude
- Sensitivity towards others
- Responsive and responsible
- Excellent communicator
- Team builder
- Ability to receive constructive feedback
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Asst-Director-Financial-Aid_R0001097
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency