Director of Residential Unit Ops & Emergency Planning (0390U) 6096
Director of Residential Unit Ops & Emergency Planning (0390U) 6096 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is a complex “cluster” of departments within the Division of Student Affairs which provides housing, dining, residential and academic support to 7500+ bed spaces for undergraduates, 1100+ apartments for single undergraduate & graduate students, faculty and affiliated families along with ancillary programs such as campus dining, child care/education, and catering and conference services that support a broader student, faculty and staff customer base. With approximately 1,800 career, contract and student employees covered by multiple personnel policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, approximately 150 buildings (estimated 3 million square feet), and an annual budget in excess of $180 million, RSSP is one of the largest units at UC Berkeley.
This position oversees managers responsible for all university housing facilities, the Work Order Center, and interfaces/collaborates regularly with senior leadership within RSSP, Student Affairs, EH&S, Capital Projects, Risk Management, Campus Counsel, and Physical Plant. This position is also responsible for working collaboratively with RSSP senior managers to establish standards for facility care and related metrics and reporting and then working to support the training of staff on optimal practices to ensure standards are met. Strong vendor/contractor management tactical and strategic direction and oversight is also an important responsibility.
Total number of career staff is approximately 15 with additional limited and student staff. The position may take on additional facilities operations responsibilities via recharge or memo of understanding for operations outside of RSSP direct responsibility as needed to assist the Division of Student Affairs and/or for revenue generation. It also acts as a major provider of services to the campus and local community during major emergencies and catastrophes such as fire, storms, and earthquakes and coordinates the emergency support function for this part of the University during a mass care situation.
- Establishes, recommends, enforces, reviews, and interprets policies and procedures related UCB-owned campus housing for single students, family housing, and staff/faculty. Oversees planning, organization and direction of routine and emergency procedures for residential property. Develop an annual calendar for all assigned areas to ensure that proper inspections, processes, maintenance, and operational standards are achieved and sustained.
- Maintain and creatively enhance professional skills and expertise by being constantly alert for newer methods, techniques, equipment, and materials that will improve the overall operation of the department at reduced cost.
- Provides oral and written instructions to staff for requested special services which vary from routine operations. Inspects buildings and assigned areas for compliance with operational standards. Investigates complaints of unsatisfactory service or performance and takes corrective action to avoid repetition and resolve problems. Interviews prospective employees and recommends selection of qualified candidates.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE AND ACCESS FUNCTIONS:
- Functions as responder to minor and major emergencies as well as on-call for urgent situations occurring in housing facilities (i.e. late night unexpected power outage, system failures that affect residents, residential life needs).
- Coordinates and implements ongoing planning, training, and execution of Emergency Response/Support Function as RSSP DOC Manager and provides both UC Berkeley and local community assistance and coordination during emergencies with an emphasis on the housing and dining aspects. Ensures RSSP is ready to be a major provider of these services to the campus and local community during major emergencies and catastrophes such as fire, storms, and earthquakes and coordinates the emergency support function for this part of the University during a mass care situation.
- Interfaces with and trained on CSGold and C-Cure facility card access (or any subsequent) systems as they relate to RSSP buildings. Works with housing staff to ensure appropriate levels of access, schedules and currency with database. Also educates and follows up on key handling, loss and action needed when keys are being managed inappropriately.
- Serves on campus committees and participates in professional association for education purposes and as a representative of the university.
- Interfaces with private developers and affiliated housing owner representatives to ensure equitable processes and policies in respect to residents' needs and consistency with UCB (i.e. reporting maintenance issues, check in/out procedures, inspections, damage billing).
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
- Instills strong management practices among subordinate managers and staff and also creates an inclusive, ethical and safe work environment. Mentor staff in the areas of professional development, management and performance to support a high performing culture.
- Responsible for performance management. Establishes and implements performance standards and achievable yearly objectives for the units assigned in support of departmental goals. Sets training standards for new employees and ensures that standards are being met by follow-up with supervisors and by personal observations. Periodically review site activities, meeting with staff and observing the unit operations under the unit facility manager. Involved in all phases of university housing facilities planning, such as determining staffing levels, and the development of facilities standards and specifications.
- Regularly evaluate and confirm staffing, equipment and product needs as needed.
- Ensures the development, delivery, and evaluation of comprehensive employee training to include, but not limited to the following: organizational and facility orientation, safety, administrative procedures, job specific procedures and techniques, rules and regulations, standards and professionalism, expectations and levels of competency, quality standards, customer service, and organizational values.
- Responsible for ensuring that the collective bargaining agreements and personnel policies are adhered to for staff in this area; ensures the evaluation of direct report employees according to UC and departmental procedures. Hires, trains and evaluates assigned career, limited and student staff.
- Advises senior management on controversial situations, customer or vendor/supplier/contractor negotiations, major student/parent/guest concerns,0 or influencing and persuading other senior level managers.
- Develops and monitors unit operational budgets, budget processes, and staffing levels. As assigned, contributes to the preparation of the annual equipment, supply, and personnel budget for the university housing operations. Monitor expenditures for area supply and equipment budget and verify payroll time reports for assigned employees. Review all time sheets and time card reports for accuracy (hours worked, sick and vacation leave taken) and assist with reconciling discrepancies prior to deadlines. Approves and controls vacation, sick leave, overtime, travel, professional development expenses, etc. in line with divisional and campus personnel policies.
- In conjunction with the design/maintenance/custodial teams, ensures project requirements for university housing facilities are defined, building management and/or equipment RFPs/ MOUs / contracts and contract changes are negotiated, operating budgets established and financial terms conditions of contract are identified.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Housing, Events, and Facilities of RSSP, this position serves as a steward for university housing facilities administrative operations across six residential units. It is responsible for the management, budget, organization, coordination, oversight, and development of procedures, policies and communications related to multiple operational activities and services in the housing facilities and related equipment upkeep as well as delivery of high level service and response:
- Coordination of housing unit processes, assists with maintenance and grounds services, recommends priority for minor capital and emergency projects, building equipment and furnishings replacement
- Related safety and emergency services for all University owned housing (single student, family, staff and faculty), commercial, and offices.
- Establish and implement operating policies/procedures across the housing units to create consistency of service delivery and routine response to residential concerns
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- 10+ years of facilities experience and/or equivalent experience/training, preferably in a higher education and/or residential setting with a large population served
- Supervisory experience required preferably of multiple management and administrative level staff
- Strong safety and emergency response training for large scale disaster recovery.
- Required to be on call and respond in case of emergencies
- Understanding of student development and the impact of facilities on residents.
- Strong skills to facilitate and collaborate with various internal and external constituencies on long- and short-term facilities planning and management.
- Strong analytical, research and report preparation skills to meet regulatory and budgetary reporting requirements.
- Broad knowledge in the areas of facilities management, space planning and allocation, security, fire and safety and emergency preparedness.
- Strong risk management training.
- Solid decision making and reasoning skills, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis and quality control analysis
- Strong skills in management, regulatory compliance and operations planning.
- Strong skills in leadership to effectively engage, mentor and develop management staff.
- Strong skills in verbal and written communications.
- Strong active listening skills and dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, and ability to multi-task and employ strong time management skills
- Demonstrated experience in responding effectively to minor and major facility emergencies as well as urgent situations (i.e. late night unexpected power outage, system failures that affect residents, residential life needs)
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=6096&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency