Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
University of Central Florida
Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
The University of Central Florida (UCF) invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for the position of Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer. The campus community seeks an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and forward-thinking administrator to leverage the rapid changes in information technology and security to ensure UCF’s infrastructure and services help the university achieve academic and operational excellence. This position is responsible for staying current on best practices for information technology and security to evaluate trends and prioritize investment opportunities.
Founded in 1963, UCF is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as Florida’s most innovative university and one of the nation’s top 20 most innovative. Located in Orlando and securing $204.5 million in research funding in fiscal year 2020, UCF is a major metropolitan public research university in one of the country’s fastest-growing regions and holds the Carnegie Foundation’s highest designation in two categories: community engagement and very high research activity. Furthermore, as a testament to its commitment to diversity and serving diverse populations, UCF also is one of 14 universities nationwide designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and R1 university.
UCF consists of 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, and offers more than 220 degree programs on its main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and through 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. In addition, UCF extends its reach to communities in and beyond Central Florida by offering fully online programs leading to bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, Ph.D.s, certificates, and more. UCF confers almost 17,000 degrees each year and benefits from a diverse faculty and staff who create a welcoming environment and are dedicated to creating opportunities for its diverse student body of approximately 70,000, nearly half of whom are members of underrepresented minority groups. The university has an annual budget of $1.8 billion and is served by 13,500 employees.
In April 2020, UCF welcomed the university’s sixth President, Dr. Alexander N. Cartwright, who is committed to leading UCF on a pursuit of excellence to become a new kind of research university that is tightly coupled with its community and can work toward quickly becoming a top 50 public research university. For more information about UCF, please visit https://www.ucf.edu/.
The Vice President for Information Technology and CIO will report to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and will serve as a key member of the university’s leadership team. The position will provide vision and leadership to UCF’s information technology and security organization that serves as the primary provider of core functions, which include:
- Information Technology Services
- Information Technology Strategy and Planning
- Enterprise Infrastructure
- Network and Telecommunications
- Information Security
This executive will work collaboratively with the university community, including faculty and staff members and university leaders, to leverage technological innovations to support research, student success, and instruction while also improving administrative systems and business processes toward greater efficiencies and effectiveness.
This position will be responsible for bringing together a more centralized IT organization that is deeply committed to supporting the academic mission of the university with a sharp focus on operational excellence and service. In addition, this position will play a critical role ensuring the success of enterprise-wide projects, including the implementation of a new enterprise resource planning system. In leading UCF IT, the executive will oversee a $60 million annual budget, which includes several auxiliary operations and 315 central staff members.
UCF IT was created when an information technology shared services (IT rationalization) initiative was launched in 2015. At the current time, 11 colleges and divisions have substantially merged their human and technical resources into UCF IT, while approximately 14 college and division IT units remain distributed. UCF has recently engaged Huron Consulting to analyze both the 11 in-progress and 14 distributed organizations to develop an implementation plan and fiscal impact analysis for fully migrating the distributed units’ information technology personnel and technical resources into UCF IT. For more information about UCF IT, please visit https://it.ucf.edu/.
The successful candidate should be prepared to demonstrate the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university is required, and a master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant IT experience with 7 years of experience leading and managing IT functions in a large and complex organization;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions across a large, complex organization, and provide demonstrated success implementing change across an organization that has a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Experience facilitating inclusive enterprise-wide IT and security planning, business prioritization, and resource allocation processes that result in increased effectiveness and/or efficiency;
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of how current IT and security trends impact large organizations and how they can be leveraged to adopt new technologies, processes, and systems that advance student success, research, instruction, and administrative functions;
- Successful experience leading the consolidation of IT-related functions within a large, complex organization;
- Demonstrated success integrating and coordinating the development and implementation of IT and security programs across an organization to achieve maximum efficiencies and synergies;
- Experience implementing or upgrading an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system;
- Experience promoting a culture of compliance and information security and ensuring that information systems are managed as dictated by federal, state, agency, local, and other regulations, guidelines, and security policies and procedures;
- Experience supporting issues related to conducting research within an enterprise environment including computational research, scientific collaboration, research network implementation, maintenance and performance, research data storage, and ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of research data.
For a complete position profile and list of qualifications, please visit https://www.storbeckpimentel.com/pd/UCFCIO.pdf
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current resume and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Submission of materials via e-mail is strongly encouraged. Nominations should include the contact information of the nominee. In accordance with the State of Florida’s open records laws, all applications and letters of interest will be made public. Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner and
Will Gates, Senior Partner
Email: [email protected]
Refer to code “UCF-VPCIO” in the subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf. As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.