Position: Assistant Controller Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 566 # of Openings: 1 ASSISTANT CONTROLLER Responsibilities Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will provide support and oversight of the Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable functions, preparation of consolidated financial statements, establishing and maintaining internal controls over financial reporting, and the treasury function at Wheaton College. The Assistant Controller will assist in developing, documenting, and ensuring compliance with GAAP and Auditing Standards as well as Wheaton College’s policies and procedures. Duties
- Responsible for the monthly G/L close and reporting. Ensuring the timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements. Provide insight to account variances.
- Assist the Controller with preparation of Board Reports.
- Assist the Controller in the annual financial audit process, including assistance with year-end closing procedures and footnote preparation for the audited financial statements.
- Work closely with the Director of SFS to prepare and oversee the annual single audit (A-133).
- Oversee the Accounts Payable functions, develop policies and procedures, and implement best business practices.
- Supervise the College’s treasury functions including AR/AP, bank reconciliations, and debt service payments.
- Assist the Controller in developing and maintaining the College’s short and long-term treasury plans.
- Supervise Accountant III staff, AP specialist, and AP Clerk. Develop annual goals and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Review and approve work tax filings including 1099 and 1098 reports.
- Review and approve draws for government funds and reports.
- Manage PCI compliance at all College’s POS and credit card processing platforms.
- Ensure G/L feeds from Student Financial Services, Advancement, and Payroll are accurate and post in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with bond and SBPA covenants.
- Assist with training of Faculty and Staff on accounting processes and procedures.
- Remain current on changes in regulations and other industry news.
- Research technical accounting issues as needed
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in related roles are required. CPA and experience in higher education are preferred.
- 5+ years of management experience with a demonstrated record of process improvement, positive outcome for employee performance challenges, and motivating people.
- Banner Finance experience strongly preferred
- Effective communicator: Able to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Strong technological skills and ability to learn new systems.
- Well organized and goal-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to understand and develop financial systems.