Assistant Professor - Health Sciences/Pre-Professional Education
Department: Health and Movement Sciences
Specialization(s): Health Sciences/Pre-Professional Education
Search # 21-016
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) is a comprehensive university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Located in historic New Haven, a culturally vibrant environment rich in art and culture New Haven is surrounded by many fine universities with easy access to New York and Boston. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students located less than three miles from downtown New Haven near the Westville Village section of the city. The university is student-centered and intentionally diverse, and we regard student success as our highest priority. We seek to instill in all of our students the value of the liberal arts and sciences as a foundation for professional development and life-long learning.
The mission of the Department of Health and Movement Sciences is to provide exemplary graduate and undergraduate education in health and fitness. As a broad and diverse department, Health and Movement Sciences is committed to educating and developing leaders and practitioners in the areas of athletic training, exercise and sport science, health science, physical education, respiratory care, school health education, and sport studies to benefit the public.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
The Department of Health and Movement Sciences invites applications for a full time, tenure track position as a healthcare professional faculty member within Health Sciences major to begin August 2021. Responsibilities include teaching primarily undergraduate courses within the Health Science major and may have the opportunity to teach other courses within the other majors in the department if relevant to a successful candidate’s background and expertise. Expected course instruction includes: introduction to health professions and medical terminology, medical documentation, interprofessional healthcare practice, and health research. In addition to classroom teaching responsibilities, faculty are expected to conduct and publish research/scholarly activity in their areas of study, advise and direct student research, provide student academic advisement, and engage in professional activity and service.
· Doctoral degree in a healthcare profession or related discipline. ABD candidates are encouraged to apply and should demonstrate a precise schedule outlining progress towards dissertation completion prior to hiring.
· Evidence of ability to teach effectively at the university level.
· Evidence of ability to engage in scholarly activities, grant acquisition, and interprofessional practice.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate with, work, and interact successfully with students, colleagues, and community.
· 5 years of clinical experience in an allied health profession.
· Professional licensure in an allied health profession such as athletic training, occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant or respiratory care.
· Teaching experience in the health sciences, or allied health (pre-professional or professional).
· Evidence of ability to instruct human biology/functional anatomy or another of the Health and Movement Sciences disciplines such as athletic training, strength and conditioning, physical activity, clinical exercise physiology, physical education, respiratory therapy, or sport psychology.
Please submit electronically a letter of interest, current curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts and three letters of recommendation to: Health and Movement Sciences Search Committee Chair at [email protected].
The letter of interest must address the candidate’s ability to effectively fulfill the job requirements for this position and describe area(s) of expertise. For best consideration, all materials should be received electronically by Friday, October 30, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
All open faculty positions are subject to suspension pending state and Connecticut State University System budget.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.