Assistant Professor - Healthcare Studies/Healthcare Informatics
Specialization(s): Healthcare Studies / Healthcare Informatics
Search # 21-015
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) is a comprehensive university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, SCSU provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston. SCSU is student-centered, intentionally diverse, focused on student success and the value of the liberal arts and sciences as a foundation for professional development and life-long learning.
The BS in Healthcare Studies is an interdisciplinary program housed in the College of Health and Human Services. The mission of the Healthcare Studies program is to provide an exemplary undergraduate education to prepare students for a broad range of current or emerging careers in the healthcare sector. The program provides students with a strong foundation for application to a variety of health and human services graduate programs; prepares students for a direct path to employment in the healthcare sector; prepares students with the prerequisite coursework and advisement to apply to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program; and provides a Bachelor’s degree completion option for an Associate’s degree trained healthcare professionals.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
The College of Health and Human Services seeks to fill a full-time tenure track position in Healthcare Studies to begin August 2021. Although the position will be housed in the Health and Movement Sciences department, the position’s primary responsibilities will involve teaching and advising in the interdisciplinary BS in Healthcare Studies program. The successful candidate will fulfill the following responsibilities:
• Teach some or all of the following courses: Healthcare Professions and Medical Technology; Patient Centered Healthcare; Healthcare Systems; Health Informatics; Career Skills for the Healthcare Professional.
• Advise and mentor undergraduate students in the Healthcare Studies program.
• Engage in a program of scholarship in a healthcare-related area that results in peer-reviewed publications, conferences presentations and other appropriate methods of dissemination.
• Contribute to the development of new courses and programs that will prepare students for healthcare careers.
• Engage in departmental and university service.
• Engage in professional activities reflective of the candidate’s area of expertise.
• Research- or practice- based doctoral degree in a health-related field (Ph.D., DNP, EdD or other comparable degree). ABD candidates will be considered, with completion required by the end of the first year of appointment.
• Advanced professional and/or academic experience working with healthcare data and/or healthcare informatics, or related area.
• Evidence of the ability to teach effectively at the university level and to engage in meaningful scholarship, with potential to produce peer-reviewed publications and attract grant support.
• Ability to work in an interdisciplinary setting, and to collaborate across departments and disciplines.
• Strong interest in mentoring and advising students pursuing healthcare careers.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with, work, and interact successfully with students, colleagues and community.
• At least 4 years of professional experience in healthcare management and/or a position working with health data.
• Teaching experience at the undergraduate level with evidence of teaching effectiveness.
• Experience with integrating technology into teaching and/or facilitating on-line instruction.
• Evidence of healthcare management and/or health informatics scholarship (i.e., publications, grants, and presentations).
Please submit electronically a letter of interest, current curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts and three letters of recommendation to: Health and Movement Sciences Healthcare Studies Search Committee Chair at [email protected].
The letter of interest must address the candidate’s ability to effectively fulfill the job requirements for this position and describe area(s) of expertise. For best consideration, all materials should be received electronically by Friday, October 30, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
All open faculty positions are subject to suspension pending state and Connecticut State University System budget.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.