Director, Academic Administration - Office of the Provost and Dean of the Graduate School
Director, Academic Administration - Office of the Provost and Dean of the Graduate School - (200000VB)
The Office of the Provost and Dean of the Graduate School has an opportunity for a Director, Academic Administration. Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Director will provide executive coordination and leadership of Academic Affairs and Graduate School Initiatives pursuant to and in compliance with the University System of Maryland (USM) and the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) reporting requirements. The Director, Academic Administration is the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on new academic program development, review, and approval. The Director is responsible for guiding the UMB Schools through the process of obtaining USM and MHEC approval for new academic programs and oversees collaboration between USM and partner institutions.
Additionally, the Director, Academic Administration manages the interaction between the Office of Academic Affairs and the UMB Schools in matters of faculty appointment, promotion, tenure, and leave, including sabbatical leave. Ensures that faculty action data is collected and stored, and appropriately protected.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Provide executive coordination and leadership of initiatives across the Offices of Academic Affairs and the Graduate School.
- Oversee and manage academic administrative issues pertaining to faculty appointment, renewal, promotion, tenure, and leave, including sabbaticals. Ensures that faculty action data is collected and stored, and appropriately protected.
- Oversee compliance with faculty personnel policies and procedures.
- Lead the process for the evaluation of Deans and Vice Presidents in accordance with UMB’s Policy on the Review of Chief Academic/Administrative Officers.
- Provide direction and guidance on the approval of new academic programs and modifications to existing programs.
- Lead the development of academic policy. Serve as a University Liaison to USM AAAC, BOR Education Policy and Student Life Committee, and UMB’s partner institutions, and manage special projects.
- Direct the University’s periodic program reviews and assure compliance with deadlines. Responsible for tracking and chronicling accreditation milestones for Schools and School-based programs and ensure alignment with Middle States standards.
- Proactively represents the Office of Academic Affairs or the University through participation in meetings and special projects, as well as organizing and serving on various committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a related field; Master's or related professional degree preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years of academic or nonprofit administration or coordination of an academic program, function, or unit, which includes experience with faculty, staff, or student relations
Supervisory Experience: Three (3) years of experience in a management/ leadership/ supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of position requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision.
- Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Skill in consultation and change management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Skill in project management.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.