Graduate Assistant (Staff), Leadership & Counseling (SBCC)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Graduate Assistant
Location: Main Campus
Division: Graduate Employment
The EMU Professional Counseling Program is looking to fill a full-time (20 hours) graduate assistantship position to work within the School-Based Counseling Clinics (SBCC). The SBCC (https://emusbcc.weebly.com/) provides free weekly individual clinical counseling to elementary and middle school students (Ypsilanti School District) during the school day. We are interested in a well-organized, flexible, and personable graduate assistant to manage the SBCC sites, serve as an advocate and liaison for the SBCC, and assist the SBCC Faculty Coordinator with scholarly and research activities as assigned.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the SBCC sites: follow-up on referrals, schedule student clients, input documents in Titanium.
- Advocate for the SBCC by being a liaison between EMU Counselors-In-Training, EMU Practicum Instructors, SBCC Coordinator, student clients, teachers, staff, and administrators, and student clients' families.
- Organize for the smooth flow of the clinic activities and anticipate the needs of the EMU Counselors-In-Training.
- Assist SBCC Coordinator/faculty with scholarly or research activities as assigned. The work may include all phases of research (e.g., research design, literature review, data collection, data analysis, writing, and preparation/presentation of findings).
- Ability to work 20 hours a week (full-time)
- Admission and enrollment in a graduate program is required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher is required.
- Maintenance of a 67% course completion is required.
- Enrollment in at least 6 credits for Fall and Winter semesters is required.
- Enrolled in one of the EMU Counseling MA Programs (School, Clinical Mental Health, or College Counseling)
- Experience working with children (preferred)
- Preference will be given to graduate students who are able to commit to 2 consecutive years
- Availability to work during the day at the SBCC school sites (7:30am-3pm) 2 days a week.
- Proficient computer skills, (i.e. Internet, Email, Microsoft Office).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
2 Letters of Recommendations
Submit your completed application online only through Jobs at EMU. Your online submission through Jobs at EMU, should include a cover letter, a resume, and two letters of recommendation addressed to Dr. Patrice Bounds, Assistant Professor in School Counseling and Coordinator of the School-Based Counseling Clinics, Department of Leadership & Counseling, Porter Bldg, Suite 304L, Ypsilanti, MI 48197. The deadline for accepting completed applications is Friday, March 27, 2020. Eastern Michigan University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
***We have an opening for a part-time hourly employee for Summer I (May 4 - June 19, 2020) that will transition to a full-time GA beginning in Fall 2020. Preference will be given to applicants who can beginning Summer I as an hourly employee (up to 20 hours per week; paid as an hourly employee). This is an essential period of training and transition between the outgoing and incoming graduate assistant of the SBCC.
For a full-time GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (September 1 to August 31) of the assistantship.
For graduate assistants who are appointed to part-time positions and for GAs who begin employment after the start of the semester, the number of credit hours covered by the award will be prorated.
Click here for more benefit related information.
Are you currently enrolled within a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University, if not do you have an application currently pending for a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University?
Please indicate the graduate/doctoral-level program(s) with Eastern Michigan University in which you are currently enrolled or for which you have an application pending.
Do you acknowledge that your tuition waiver may be taxable beyond $5250 per year?
* Required Question